Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 3, 2005, 4:15 PM   #11

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
Very nice. I read the FZ20 review, and another question I am thinking to myself is, why did Panasonic repeat itself with the F something 5.... the 5 MP slightly larger ccd and slower lense...etc? Doesn't seem to be a step up from the FZ20.
The FZ4 and FZ5 are really "upgrades" of the FZ3, not the FZ20. As far as putting in a slower lens, obviously that's to cut costs. I don't like the change but that's how their new cameras are...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 4:20 PM   #12

It is hard to take action pics in less-than-ideal scenarios--that's what seperates a DSLR from a prosumer. In bright light (eg. sunny day), I don't think one will notice much difference; but during night, or indoors, or stuff like that, the prosumers will have big issues. Typically, you have to increase the ISO to take action shots in low-light and this results in tons of noise.

So the reason you see 'cons' listed for action and auto-focus is because these cameras aren't very good for action shots.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 4:25 PM   #13

KSV wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
if you can tell me the difference between a picture and a photograph
I like this one :-)

Actually in Oz it is possible to get Pentax *istDS with lens for $1300 AUD ($900-$950 USA) and I personally believe that this value is unbeatable. Especially considering access to tons of non-expensive second-hand lenses. So I do not even understand how people can consider prosumer cameras like Coolpix 8800 @ $1800 or Dimage A200 @ $1400 or Powershot Pro1 @ $1400 over *istDS!
I agree with your sentiment, but the reason people go for high-end prosumer over a DSLR is because the cost of a DSLR will be higher if you try to replicate all the features of a prosumer. For example, getting an image stabilizated f2.8 lens like the Panasonic will likely push a DSLR above the prosumer. Prosumers are also smaller, have movie mode, and are arguably easier to use...
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:44 PM   #14

Kenneth

The FZ-20 uses an internal focus mechanism, so the additional teleconverter does not put any additional stress on it. The Panasonic converter is usable all the way through its normal zoom range of 12x, but you have to be at about 6x to not have any vignetting.

Sivaram is correct about low light action shooting. DSLRs clearly have better perfomance in this area.
Turkalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 7:20 PM   #15

I think the FZ20 is a great camera, although I've never owned one.

The problem with the FZ20 is, if you get really into photography, you will probably end up buying a D-SLR anyways.

So, you actually SAVE money by getting the D-SLR up front, rather than buying then trying to sell a used FZ20 later.

The above argument is ideal to work on a spouse who doesn't want you to buy an expensive camera!

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 7:38 PM   #16

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
The problem with the FZ20 is, if you get really into photography, you will probably end up buying a D-SLR anyways.

So, you actually SAVE money by getting the D-SLR up front, rather than buying then trying to sell a used FZ20 later.

-- Terry

I have ALMOST come to the conclusion that at the end of the day, I will own a prosumer and a Dslr. There just doesn't seem to be an answer (cost effective answer) to the IS in a Dslr, or the benefits of the powerful 12X zoom (more w/tele converter). While I do covet the ability in the Dslr class, I think until all the dust settles and the manufacturers finally get it together in either a Dslr w/IS ...and...an affordable mega zoom....OR a prosumer with the speed and CCD size of a Dslr...I will go for the Panasonic (maybe) and wait. There are too many things I want in one camera. And if I buy 2, in the end it will be better than waiting, while using my ancient 7i for another few years. I need some action....now! (but the manufacturers aren't listening) Best regards, Oh and thank you very much TURKALOPE for your reply about the zoom lens tele converter. I really wanted to know that. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 7:52 PM   #17

Kenneth,

I thinkIS is overrated.

I've never really felt I needed it unless I was shooting in a low light situation where the shutter speed is dipping below 1/60th of a second.

Better off having a faster lens for low light photography. You'll get a better picture anyway.

Maybe get an FZ20 and wait about 4 years. At that point, you should be able to get a truly amazing D-SLR for under $1,000.

Unfortunately, the cost of lenses doesn't seem to go down much, although I wouldn't be suprised to see some high quality, low cost glass made in China hitting the markets soon.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:06 PM   #18

:?I am more confused now then ever before. I am new to this site and this is my first post. Excuse the lack of knowledge on my part. I have a CanonS410. Great camera and has taken some great shots, especially in Ireland on my golf trip in Oct. Looking into getting something new. Checking in on Konica A200 or Powershotg6 or PanasonicFZ20. Looking for something to take some action shots with little lag time, etc. Some people have posted about too much noise when shooting. What noise? Any input on helping me out will be of great value. How much does the megapixel play when printing out photos? My canon printed out great pictures, if I can say so myself. Will I notice a 5 MG over a 7 MP? or should I just look more into the 'zoom' part of a camera? Thanks rob
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 9:15 PM   #19

The short and sweet of it is...no, 8 MP over 5 MP won't be that noticeable unless you do a lot of cropping. And even then, not that much. Noise is the grainy look that happens when you can't get a real crisp image as in under low light conditions, or the CCD won't accomodate a high ISO setting. 5 MP and 8 MP look pretty much identicle side by side in my experiments, and even when blown up the difference although noticeable isn't remarkable. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 9:33 PM   #20

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:

I think IS is overrated....
yeah... IS is for sissys! :blah:

and just in case you've missed my previous posts i'm just kidding and say this every chance i get! :lol:
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote