Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:30 AM   #21

The Canon 20D and D2H are more than I would like to spend. I am looking very closely at the Nikon D70. I was wanting something smaller (mainly lens wise) so that it would still be easy to take on family vacations and events. I didn't want to always have a camera bag with a couple of lenses to lug around. Thanks for your advice.
kmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:38 AM   #22

Thank you for your reply. I almost bought the A2 or the A200 but was concerned about the many reviews about the eratic preformance in auto focus. the A 2 also seems to have many refurbished models out there so there was obviously something wrong with many of them. I think I have narrowed it down to the Nikon 8800 or the Nikon D70. I would really prefer not to have to carry different lenses but it sounds like the D70 might be a better fit for me. I currently have an old Sony DSC-S70 that I can still use if I need something more portable. Have you had any experience with the 8800 or the D70?
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:46 AM   #23

That is whatI am finding outand why I am leaning toward the Nikon D 70. I would like something smaller but I am afraid I won't be happy with the results.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:48 AM   #24

Turkalope wrote:
Quote:
Okay, here is my two cents.

I have a Panasonic FZ-20, which I purchased after a great deal of research.

I shoot with a couple of folks who use a Canon and a Nikon DSLR.

My observations are that the DSLRs produce a sharper image with less digital noise if all other things are equal.

They are also mush heavier and to get the same zoom capabilities are much more expensive. If money and portability are not and issue then a DSLR is the way to go.

However, the FZ-20 takes excellent photographs and to imply that you can not take excellent shots with this camera is ridiculous.

I shoot a lot of wildlife photos. I bought the FZ-20 and the Panasonic teleconverter for a total cost 1,100. This gave me a camera with a 640 mm stabilized lens at f 2.8 that shoots at 3 fps. Since the FZ-20 has a onboard 430 mm lens the teleconverter is not really needed unless you do a lot of long range shooting.

You can check out my Australia photo gallery which is all shot with the FZ-20 at:

http://www.turpin-tyner.net/photo_ga.../Australia.htm

Here are some example of birds in motion taken with the FZ-20:

Beautiful pictures! I will check out he FZ20 before I make my decision. Thanks
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:54 AM   #25

photo118 wrote:
Quote:
Checking in on Konica A200 or Powershotg6 or PanasonicFZ20.

New models are coming out so it's hard to say which is the best for 2005 but based on 2004 models and what is widely available, I would say the following...

If you want a general all-around prosumer camera and don't really plan to use zoom that much, I would go with something like Canon G6 or Sony V3 or something like that (in other words, low-zoom prosumer)...

If you want zoom, then I would go with something like Panasonic FZ20...

And if you want a cross of the two (i.e. cross between a good low-zoom prosumer and a high-zoom prosumer), I would go with a high-end prosumer like Olympus 8080 or Nikon 8800 or maybe even Konica Minolta A2/A200, or whatever.

Of course, if you want to save some money, you can go for hte low-end to mid-end versions of these (if applicable). For example, something like Panasonic FZ3 (or the newly announced FZ4 or FZ5) is sufficient for most people.

Quote:
Looking for something to take some action shots with little lag time, etc.
Action shots will be tough with any consumer or prosumer. In ideal bright conditions (eg. outdoor sunny) you will be ok. But indoors and night will be tough.

Quote:
Some people have posted about too much noise when shooting. What noise?
Noise is something that shows up as little "dots" in your pics. Something with high noise will have a lot of "specs/dots". You'll see noise if you use high ISOs. Check out some sample pics at ISO400 or something like that. See if you can increase the ISO on your camera and then try taking some pics...

Quote:
How much does the megapixel play when printing out photos? My canon printed out great pictures, if I can say so myself. Will I notice a 5 MG over a 7 MP? or should I just look more into the 'zoom' part of a camera? Thanks rob
Megapixels greatly impacts the print size. The more megapixels, the greater the potential print size. Roughly speaking, 3 megapixels is enough for average 8"x10" prints (without any cropping). What is good for you depends on how much detail you want and how big you are going to print.

The difference between 5MP and 7MP is not THAT much. I would make sure that the camera has enough MP for the print you will be making but I wouldn't worry too much about going for a high MP camera (on another note, given identical sensor size and identical technology, more megapixels usually results in more noise. So going for high MP isn't necessarily always the best)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 6:49 PM   #26

Hey,

The D70 is a great camera.

Beware, though, once you own a D-SLR, the "gee, wouldn't be nice to have another lens" scratch will start getting to you!

Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:33 PM   #27

If you like take motion picture and don't like spend too much money, Minolta A1 is a good choice, thought it is not so eazy to find. A2 and A200 is aanother good choice but the money is beyond its value. In motion picture prosumer class no one can beat Minolta. Its quick autofocus can do panning excellently.
zanwang is offline   Reply With Quote