Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2005, 4:45 PM   #1

I have been reading many reviews in the 8 megapixel prosumer category. I am planning on purchasing a camera soon. I would like to stay under $1000. Most of the use will be vacations, family gatherings and typical family camera use which is why I would like to have the camera more portable. Recently I have started taking many action shots at soccer games. I would like a camera with image stabilization, a good zoom to get close ups across the field, something that will take good action shots anda fairly quick burst of pictures at a reasonable resolution. When I have found a good review the action or the auto focus parts of the reviews are usually in the con category. The more I read the more confused I get. Does anyone have advice for me?
kmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:02 PM   #2

The Canon 20D is pretty good at about $1400 street price.

Or you could look at the Canon D2H at about $2000 street, which puts it into the Pro class.

On the less costly front, you could consider a Nikon D70 at about $1,000 or the Pentax *ist at $800.

Any of the above you could probably capture great action shots.

Does any of these cameras fit into your price range?
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:59 PM   #3

The suggestions above are good, with the exceptions: a) most people would not consider them to be prosumer cameras, and b) they cost more than your budget.

I can think of just two cameras that are 8mp prosumers with IS - the Minolta A200 (or A2) and the Nikon 8800. Therefore I wouldn't think that making a choice would be that hard. The reviews here list all the info needed to make a choice. For the most part, you would have to decide if you want higher ISO (the A200) or more zoom (the Nikon).

Personally, I would consider the Panasonic FZ20, which seems to be a much more popular camera than the two above. It doesn't have 8mp, but if you really have need for that many mp's, you should be looking at the dslr's instead of the prosumers anyway. The FZ20 has IS and the fastest 12x zoom you can find in your price range. The fast 2.8 zoom will help to make up for it's lack of high ISO as well. I would not spend the money for an 8800 or A200 -- after all, you can get great performance for less money with the FZ20, or you can get into dslr if you can spend a bit more....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:42 PM   #4

i think that the two cameras listed above are going to be the best non-SLR style camera but, honestly, i would go for an SLR.

the downside to the SLR is the size of the camera, but since you have decided to go with a prosumer camera you have definately taken yourself out of the "pocket-sized" demographic.

i think that the positives of an SLR camera definately outweigh the negitave, but maybe i am biased considering i have one. :-)

first, before you read anything else, if you can tell me the difference between a picture and a photograph and you are wanting to take photographs, you will need to do the following

1. Put on some pants
2. Grab wallet
3. buy SLR
4. HAVE FUN

if you just want to take pictures i would reccomend the Nikon 8800

if you cant really tell the difference the following might help make up your mind

-an SLR allows you to attach a wide array of lenses that will get you the zoom that you want
-SLR's in my experiences have had the quickest focusing times
-most manual control of any type of camera
-still has AUTO mode when you want it.

Canon has two options in your price range that might fit your needs (not including extra lenses):

Digital Rebel
-street price ~$799US in march
-6.3 Megapixel
-AlSevro focus in sports mode
-2.5fps shooting mode (4 frame burst)
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...p;modelid=9430

Digital Rebel XT
-available mid-March 2005
-street price ~$999US
-8.0 Megapixel
-AlSevro focus
-smallest and lightest SLR to date
-3fps shoting mode (14 shot burst)
-0.2 sec start-up time
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=11154

i hope this helped and if we dont hear/read from you again, happy shooting!!!
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 1:01 AM   #5
KSV

Quote:
if you can tell me the difference between a picture and a photograph
I like this one :-)

Actually in Oz it is possible to get Pentax *istDS with lens for $1300 AUD ($900-$950 USA) and I personally believe that this value is unbeatable. Especially considering accessto tons of non-expensive second-hand lenses. So I do not even understand how people can consider prosumer cameras like Coolpix 8800 @ $1800 or Dimage A200 @ $1400 or Powershot Pro1 @ $1400 over *istDS!
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 1:55 AM   #6

PhilR. wrote:
Quote:
The suggestions above are good, with the exceptions: a) most people would not consider them to be prosumer cameras, and b) they cost more than your budget.

Personally, I would consider the Panasonic FZ20, which seems to be a much more popular camera than the two above. It doesn't have 8mp, but if you really have need for that many mp's, you should be looking at the dslr's instead of the prosumers anyway. The FZ20 has IS and the fastest 12x zoom you can find in your price range. The fast 2.8 zoom will help to make up for it's lack of high ISO as well. I would not spend the money for an 8800 or A200 -- after all, you can get great performance for less money with the FZ20, or you can get into dslr if you can spend a bit more....

PhilR.
Do you have any idea what the shutter lag is like on the FZ20? Keeping in mind the action shot requirement...I keep seeing all kinds of great pics from this camera, and if it were an 8 MP I'd have it by now. But, I still haven't seen a clear cut winner in the 8 MP prosumers yet, and the goodies in the FZ20 are looking better all the time to me. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 2:35 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Kenneth,

Check out some of JakeTPegg's wildlife shots in the wildlife forum, you'll need to go back a couple of months as he's got a 20D now.

I'm not sure whether they'll qualify as "action" but they're really quite impressive, birds don't sit still for long as a general rule.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:53 AM   #8

i have some indoor basketball shots taken with my rebel if anyone wants to see them let me know otherwise i wont upload them
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:41 AM   #9

Okay, here is my two cents.

I have a Panasonic FZ-20, which I purchased after a great deal of research.

I shoot with a couple of folks who use a Canon and a Nikon DSLR.

My observations are that the DSLRs produce a sharper image with less digital noise if all other things are equal.

They are also mush heavier and to get the same zoom capabilities are much more expensive. If money and portability are not and issue then a DSLR is the way to go.

However, the FZ-20 takes excellent photographs and to imply that you can not take excellent shots with this camera is ridiculous.

I shoot a lot of wildlife photos. I bought the FZ-20 and the Panasonic teleconverter for a total cost 1,100. This gave me a camera with a 640 mm stabilized lens at f 2.8 that shoots at 3 fps. Since the FZ-20 has a onboard 430 mm lens the teleconverter is not really needed unless you do a lot of long range shooting.

You can check out my Australia photo gallery which is all shot with the FZ-20 at:

http://www.turpin-tyner.net/photo_ga.../Australia.htm

Here are some example of birds in motion taken with the FZ-20:

Turkalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 1:39 PM   #10

Very nice. I read the FZ20 review, and another question I am thinking to myself is, why did Panasonic repeat itself with the F something 5.... the 5 MP slightly larger ccd and slower lense...etc? Doesn't seem to be a step up from the FZ20. Smaller maybe. But I'm wandering here. I am glad to see you have the tele conversion lens. I have one for my 7i, which is an excellent piece of glass, but man it's huge. AND not only is it big but it can only be used after the barrel of the main lense is extended to full zoom, only then can it be attatched, and it must be locked into macro as well. It can't be manipulated, adjusted back in zoom, that is. you only use it in one position period. Full zoom or nothing. How does the Panasonic work? Can it be used in the full range of zoom? Or is it the same? My guess is it would be hard on the motor to move the extra weight back and forth. Mine is a manually operated zoom barrel like slr's, but even then the manfacturer warns the extra wieght should be handled with care, and ONLY used at the full range of zoom so as not to damage the camera. I am very curious about how Panasonic handles this. Thank you for your reply. This camera has really caught my eye. Bang for the buck, it's very tempting indeed. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote