Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 3, 2005, 3:28 PM   #1

I've owned the Sony DSC-W1 for awhile and am just sick of getting bad and out of focus pictures. I've used auto settings and manual settings and just don't get consistantly good pix for the price I paid for this camera. I've seen other customer reviews say the same. On the flip side, part of the reason I got it was that it was pocket size and had a 30 frame per second movie mode, which I love. I have a new baby at home and the movie mode is very good quality and easy to get quick spontaneous moments (unlike looking for our big movie camera and lugging that along when we go places).

Anyways, I would like to attempt to exchange my Sony for a compatible camera and I see that there are very few digital camera's currently on the market that are small like the Sony, and also have a 640x480, 30 fps movie mode (mpeg preferred over quicktime - easier to do dvd's on my computer).

One camera that got great ratings on Consumer Reports recently was the Olympus C-770 for it's picture quality. They don't review the movie mode, but it has a 30 frame per second mpeg mode, but I've seen a review or 2 that says it's not great (picture quality and audio lag - perhaps being mpeg-4 (compressed) vs mpeg-vx.)

Do any of you have experiences with the Olympus that you can share aswell as any possible alternatives for me to consider? It must be pocket sized, at least 4 megapixels,movie mode must be at least 30 fps (for tv quality 640 x 480 VGA) - 15 fps is too choppy for me, and of course picture quality must be top notch.

I appreciate it.
jmk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:46 AM   #2
rp3

One option would be the Canon SD200/300/400/500. Its a smaller camera and takes a good photo in auto mode. It has the video you want and a 320x240/60fps mode. The difference between the models is MP (3/4/5/7 respectively) and that the 400 and 500 allow for changing zoom levels while shooting a video.
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:05 PM   #3

It looks like Canon has an S400 and S500, and an SD400 and SD500, what's the difference?
Old Mar 4, 2005, 1:58 PM   #4
rp3

The S500 uses compact flash, weighs more, has more manual control and lacks 640x480 video.
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 2:45 PM   #5

Thanks rp3. Looks like the SD400 isn't even out yet. Amazon.com says it'll be out later this month.