Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 3, 2005, 3:58 PM   #1

I love Nature. So i need a camera with which i can take photographs of landscapes and wild life. I am not sure abt the difference between photos of 5megapix and 4 megapix. Ijust wantpost card size photos and also they should look beautiful on the computer screen as screen savers. It would be a great favour if anybody can suggest the suitable resolution for me (4 or 5 mp).

Pavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2005, 5:25 PM   #2

It doesn't matter for those purposes. Quality is more important than resolution. The new Polaroid x530 with 4.5MP Foveon chip would probably be great, but wait for the reviews.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 5:41 PM   #3

4 megapixels is fine.
the chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 5:44 PM   #4

4 would be sufficient for your needs.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:09 PM   #5

Sorry folks..i was lost in the maze of reviews....just now...saw the replies. Thanks everybody.

Canyou plssuggest a good camera within 500 US dollars with the following requirements.

1) Good optical zoom around 10

2) Shud be able to take pics of landscapes and wild life

3) Shud be able to offer quality pics..which should look beautiful on computer screen or TV.

3) Take pics at night

4) I donno abt the other parameters like IS, Noise etc...(which i came to know just now after going thru reviews :-)
Pavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:26 PM   #6

Check out the Canon PowerShot S1 IS.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:35 PM   #7
KSV

Panasonic FZ20. Or even FZ10. But mind you that night pix always problem - even with DSLR
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 7:47 PM   #8

I am sure that the FZ20 takes better pictures than my recommended camera, the Fuji S5100, but it costs almost twice as much. The Fuji uses regular ol' AA batteries, too. Rechargeables and a charger can be gotten cheaply.

Your requirements are easy to satisy, except the night pics part. Unless you're using a tripod with long shutter times, you will have noticeable noise.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:07 PM   #9
KSV

robbo wrote:
Quote:
I am sure that the FZ20 takes better pictures than my recommended camera, the Fuji S5100
Not necessarily, actually. FZ20 has advantage in lens (36-420/2.8 v 35-350/2.8-3.1 IMHO), SDand of course IS. S5100 cheaper and AA definitely a bonus. Also I like hexagonal CCD sensor from Fuji. It is more a matter of preference. :-)
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:04 PM   #10

Pavan wrote:
Quote:
... Take pics at night ...
Do you mean good flash or shooting in available light?
I'd suggest getting a really cheap camera and spend some time learning how to use it and how to use a photo editor. After you spend some time with that camera, you will have a much better idea of what you want and can give the cheap camera to your little sister/nephew/daughter/ ... to play with. Digicams are getting better and cheaper as time goes on so you really shouldn't loose any money that way.

For screen saver images and snap-shot sized pictures, anything more than 2Mpixels is good enough. There is much more to digicams than just pixel count, but which features are important to you is something only you can figure out.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote