Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:33 PM   #1

Here's my story, I have owned 2 Olympus cameras, an older 1.2mp point and shoot and a c2100UZ. I have liked the quality and pictures on both cameras. I want to go with a Dslr and cant't make up my mind between the Evolt 300 or the new Rebel XT. I need to know pros and cons on both. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.:?
bkbrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:26 PM   #2

I'm in the same boat. I'm leaning toward the e-volt, (the XT isn't available for full reviews yet). There are several full reviews of the e-volt on the web (google for it), and there are a few sites devoted to the four-thirds system. Both cameras will take excellent photographs.

Take a look at some of the photos and comments at:
http://www.myfourthirds.com/

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 3:07 PM   #3

I'm still quite happy with my Olympus E-100RS (a 1.4M camera with 10X optical zoom).

But it's just too darn big. I too often find myself without a camera.

So I'm thinking something the MAXIMUM size and weight of the Pentax Optio S50 (but I hope better picture quality).

Am I thinking clearly?

E-100 (1.4M) X (10X zoom) = 14M

S50 (5M) X (3X zoom) = 15M

arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 7:44 PM   #4

My C2100UZ is a 10X IS zoom and is 2.1MP. I am very happy with it. I just want to go Dslr to learn more about photography and all the different settings. The main thing I've noticed is there seems to be alot more support for canon, and more lenses available.
bkbrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 8:07 PM   #5

Most people would probably say the Rebel XT would be the way to go, pending some reviews of the new camera.

Buying the XT would give you access to Canon's wide range of lenses (as well as Sigma and Tamron). Canon is well known for excellent image quality with very little "noise", even at high ISO's.

Olympus doesn't really manufacture much in the way of lenses for the Evolt. I suspect the Evolt is going to be the Edsel of the digital camera world.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:09 PM   #6

I'm also waiting for the xt reviews, although the plastic body is a downer.
As far as lenses goes, to each his own. I was a Nikon user back in the film SLR days, and I have a collection of lenses that I'm going to be selling on ebay shortly.
Everyone has his/her own preferences and purposes, so the sheer breadth of Canon's lineup doesn't particularly impress me. Zuiko have good glass and they've gotten good reviews in the past. Sigma is also making lenses. Panasonic has signed onto the four-thirds consortium, so we'll just have to see if the dog hunts or not :?:

I have the money, but I'm not in a hurry, so I can afford to wait and see what happens with the shakeout later this year with all the new 8MP entries. I might even end up with a Nikon depending on what comes out in the D70 line.

If I do end up with the evolt (or a successor), I'll probably skip the kit lens and get their excellent 14-54 (2.8-3.5) zoom to start, then add a macro (ED50) and the ED50-200 (2.8-3.5) when I get some funds.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote