Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:06 AM   #1

Hi all.... i am abou to to buy a Kodak dx6490, but before i decided to buy this model, i was in the search of a Sony dsc w1.Can anyone help me decide which model should i get???? Im I buying correctly?...

Thank u all...
Matienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:41 AM   #2

What do want to use the camera for mainly? Where, what, when (daytime, evening, night, etc) do you want to take pictures (of)? Do you think you will often use the fullzoom on the Kodak?

What is your experience with photography in general and digital photography in particular?

Do you want a camera that's really easy to use or are you willing to take some time to learn how to use manual features?

Answers to any of these questions will help forum members give you good advice.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:59 PM   #3

Great! thanks for all your tips-

I wan the camera for basic photos, such us vacation, family, etc----- dsylight, night, ..and i do like to take my time reading and learning all the functions.

According to all the specifications i read about the Kodak, that´s the one i think goes with my needs..... so, what do u think?

Thanks.:-)
Old Mar 4, 2005, 7:12 PM   #4

Hi, Matienzo,

I don't know if I gave you great tips. I just suggest you ask yourself some questions about what you want the camera for. It sounds like you are really leaning towards buying the Kodak. From what I have read and from how it felt when I picked it up and looked it over at a store, it seems to be a decent camera. Fairly to use. A lot of the instructions on the LCD screen as you cycle through the various modes are helpful for beginners.

Just to play the devil's advocate, here are 3 possible objections to the camera:

1. It uses propietary batteries, not as easy to get as the AA's that some other cameras use. BUT you can buy spare batteries on Ebay for between $5 and $20.

2. It's been out for about 18 months, so its features aren't the newest. If you want a "newer" camera ,you can get the Kodak 7590 with 5 megapixels, the Olympus C-765 or 770, which are smaller, or the Panasonic FZ series cameras, which have image stabilization and slightly more zoom. In your price range, the Panasonic FZ3 would be strongly recommended by some. I like the Fuji S5100, which uses AA batteries.

3. As partial repeat of number 2, it doesn't have an optical stabilizer, which sometimes, makes it hard to take good hand held shots with the full 10X zoom.

But, if you really want to get the 6490, go ahead. It is not a bad camera at all. In addition, Kodak cameras tend to be easy to use for beginners.

If you read the manual and take lots of pictures, you will develop a better feeling for what you want and need in a camera. Then you will be giving advice to other people about what cameras they might consider.

I think this camera may now be on sale( =discounted)at various places for pretty low prices. Check around to make sure you get a good price. Check out Steve's Buyer's Guide at:

http://www50.shopping.com/xPP-Digita...kin_id-3053120

Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:54 AM   #5

If you are looking at ultra-zooms, the Panasonic Lumix line (eg. FZ3, FZ20, etc) is best... but others like Canon S1 IS (good for video but poor in low-light), or Olympus 770(small size but no IS), Fuji S7000 (good pics but no IS), and Konica Minolta Z3/Z5/etc (good video but "inferior" pic quality) are also worth checking out.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:45 AM   #6

Robbo, Sivaram...thank u for all your coments.

Robbo, I think i am getting the Kodak, most of the reason its because a close friend is buying it for me, he told me he got a package including a 512 memory stick, for a very nice price.......

I noticed that it wasnt the newest camera on the market, but from what i´v read it seems to be a complete camera for the use i am going to give it.

So thanks again!!!
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:55 AM   #7

Enjoy, take a lot of pictures, and post some of them on one of the forums here.

Good luck!
Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:08 AM   #8

I will.... thanksssssss!!!!