Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:27 PM   #1

Iwas looking at anikon 4100 camera... I am looking for the best pict. quality for a price range I can afford. I recently ran into a deal on a minolta g600 for about the same price as the Nikon... I know megapixels have a lot to do with quality, but so does the optics... I was wondering which would be the best buy. As far as best color and pict. quality.

Thanks

T.
smartalec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:35 PM   #2

Profeel is a Shopping.com trusted store and you can get the Nikon 4100 for $167.85 delivered unless your secret location is outside the US. If you can get a G600 for that – grab it! http://www.profeelvideo.com/showpage...ource=dealtime

Color is a personal preference. Some people prefer almost Disneyfied colors and others prefer them subdued. Steve has reviews of both cameras. Look at the sample pictures and decide which color you prefer.

Read Steve's conclusions. The devil is in the details. Does it focus well in low light? Shutter lag? Time between shots? A manual exposure mode can be important if you intend learning with your camera.

Optical quality tends to be good with most major brands. You will be hard pressed to tell the difference based on optics alone.

For the same price I would personally prefer the G600.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:40 PM   #3

Are there any other cameras that you would suggest? I don't want to limit myself... 200.00 to 260.00 Range.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thank you! BTW that was the best price I have seen on the Nikon!
smartalec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:55 PM   #4

If the G600 is in your price range it is a good camera. You have manual modes to expand into and even some manual focus presets I think. This is what Imaging Resource said about the noise:
"Image Noise: Fairly good image noise for a compact 6-megapixel model. While the G600's image noise is on the high side, based strictly on numeric measurements, its noise has a very fine-grained pattern, which makes it less objectionable than it would be otherwise. Overall, good noise characteristics, particularly for a high-resolution subcompact model."

Noise would be my only objection. The other characteristics look good. Dave at Imaging Resource made it a "Dave's Pick": http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/G600/G60A.HTM Steve has the G500 on his best camera list and Dave seems to think the G600 is a better camera. Steve found it didn't focus reliably in low light. For flash shots you can just pre-focus on something with more light or contrast that is the same distance – I've had to do that with several cameras. Read Steve's review and look at both his and Dave's sample photos: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...mage_g600.html

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:33 PM   #5

If the Sony DSC-P73 is in your price range, you may want to consider it.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote