Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:18 PM   #1

Hello.

I am considering buying a gently used Canon G3 from a good friend. Here is the package and price.

Canon G3 with 4 megapixels and 4X Optical Zoom
Remote Control
Canon G3 52mm Bayonet Adapter for lenses and filters
Digital Optics 2.0X High Definition lens
Digital Optics .48X Wide Angle Macro lens
52mm UV Haze Filter
52mm Polarizing filter
Original Manual
He paid $1396 for everything listed.
He will sell to me for 420 dollars U.S. which would be approximately 517 dollars Canadian. Opinions if you please.
My primary use will be macro photos of fungi.
Thank You
ohio transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:25 PM   #2

Hi Ohio transplant. I have a Canon G2 which I plan to sell on ebay, so I've been checking out the prices there. I checked up on the G3, and given that your friend includes 2 converter lenses and several filters I would say that this is a good deal. The Macro on the G series is excellent, and with the macro lens you won't go wrong.

(unless the quality of the lenses isn't good, I've never heard of digital optics. Canon also makes a macro lens, almost certainly very high quality) These lenses can be quite expensive ($100 and up, US dollars)

He must have extra memory (it should come with a paltry 32mb) but he may be holding onto that for another camera. Regardless, standard compact flash memory is quite cheap now.

You might want to consider the Macro light attachment, since that is your main purpose. I assume it can work with the add-on lens.

And 4 MP is plenty of resolution. I've blown up images to 12x14 inches without pixilation.

Good luck! - Rafael
rafman448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:39 PM   #3

Rafael, first, thank you for your response. Second, I failed to mention that the 32MB flash memory is also included along with the Canon battery.
I will seriously read up on the macro light attachment you mention, and consider it as well. Again, thanks!!
ohio transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:00 PM   #4

I wouldn't consider it a good deal (unless you're doing your friend a favor).

The G3 itself with accessories you can get for less than $300 US right now on Ebay.

Now what's your friend adding:

The conversion lenses are probably near worthless. For one thing, those things are a pain to attach and detach to begin with. More than that, though, unless you're getting Canon or Olympus lenses, the optics will be vastly inferior to the lens on your camera, defeating the purpose of getting a camera with such a nice lens as the G3.

If the filters are of inferior quality, that again affects the picture quality, and you might want to pass on them, too.

Really, I'd pass on the conversion lenses completely, and assuming the filters are decent quality, $300-$325 for the camera+filters+adapter would seem like a fair price (and that's assuming that he's including the whole package (you weren't totally clear on that), including all cables, charger, etc. and it's all in great condition).

I understand that your friend feels like he should get something back for the money he spent on it (although $1400 sounds a bit steep for all of it, he must have bought everything at or above list price if he's American), but if s/he won't budge you're better off springing for a NEW G6 for $500 and change from a reputable online store or getting the G3 on Ebay (either way, make sure the seller's a reputable dealer).
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:12 PM   #5

Hi Ohio transplant,

I've been researching converter lenses (at least reading a bunch of the forums here) and it does seem that the Digital Optics lenses are... well I was going to use the c-word, but let's just say "lousy".

As for the price your friend payed, I think he probaby is right on. All told for my G2 equipment, it's something similar. That's what the prices were a few years ago (of course, I also have about 1 GB in memory cards). And the Canon G series is very much "top of the line". However, these cameras don't keep their value, and the competition has caught up.

All in all, I think thebac is probably right. Good luck, Rafael
rafman448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:13 PM   #6

I just sold my G5 with the tele, wide angle and macro converters (the cheap kind from ebay), extra battery and 128MB extra memory on ebay for $365. That was about the going rate. You can do better unless you want to do your friend a favor.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote