Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:41 AM   #21

robbo I saw that one! Looks excellent, until I found out it uses a 35$ proprietary battery that has a shorter life than AA's.

That's not something I want to deal with in the remote areas of Wyoming and Montana.
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 3:49 PM   #22

I downloaded the e550 manual last night and it looks like the e550's digital zoom only works at 6mp, 3 mp, and 2.5 mp. There is no 4 mp 6.8x as I stated earlier.

Regardless,I still would get 5.6x at 6 megapixels which is incredibly close to the 6x optical I was getting at 3mp on the s3000. If I wanted 8x I would have to jump down to 3mp, which I dont think is a big deal since Iliked the 3mp images from the s3000. It is going to be a tough choice. I am crusing ebay looking for good deals o nthat Olympus you mentioned as well.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 4:27 PM   #23

montana500 wrote:
Quote:
I downloaded the e550 manual last night and it looks like the e550's digital zoom only works at 6mp, 3 mp, and 2.5 mp. There is no 4 mp 6.8x as I stated earlier.

Regardless,I still would get 5.6x at 6 megapixels which is incredibly close to the 6x optical I was getting at 3mp on the s3000. If I wanted 8x I would have to jump down to 3mp, which I dont think is a big deal since Iliked the 3mp images from the s3000. It is going to be a tough choice. I am crusing ebay looking for good deals o nthat Olympus you mentioned as well.
Remember, it's the quality of that interpolated 12MPthat you get when you zoom in digitally.

The only auctions I see now for the C-755 are Olympus's refurbs. You might still want to consider it. Direct from Olympus--they're already tested--and you still get a 90 day warranty. They've sold zillions on ebay and everyone seems to be happy. Already new ones are getting hard to find, and even the black refurbs are running out. It's ironic, Olympus came out with the 770, yet the 750 and 755 have continued to sell new for as much as the 770 because serious shooters like the larger size (easier to hold) and the AA batteries. I know they are marketing this camera mostly to the upscale point and shoot crowd, but for more serious shooters it's kind of ridiculous to keep making the camera smaller, when you'll just end up putting a lens adapter and UV filter on permanently, making the thing long in the front.
hakaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 5:06 PM   #24

You can get the C-755 for $349 from www.outpost.com

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 8:23 PM   #25

Montana, I know I was praising the Olympus, but I looked at the 12MP e550 pix again and on second thought I think they look very good. Basically, your digitally 8x zoom in would be the full size 12MP pic cropped down to the size of a 3MP, but maintaining the same detail. I think Steve was right. I'd have no problem accepting that quality myself. If it wasn't for that damn zoom lever on the back of the camera I'd even consider the e550.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:43 AM   #26

I like that c755 alot. I saw the newer version of it with the proprietary battery. I really don't like those batteries, and 35$ a pop? So the c755 seems to be better with the larger grip and the AA batteries. It's still on my list.

as for the e550 that was what I liked about it, what you had said. At 4x or 5.6x zoom, you will have 6.3 MP, which I think is nice in macro, wide angle, etc. When you want 8x zoom you will have to go to 3MP, which is ok by me. And if you realy need the 10x zoom you will be bumped down to 2 MP. I think that is a good compromise for such a small ,fast camera. And if you want a 7.7 optical zoom level, you can grab thatdecent telephotolense for 40$ and get almost 8x xoom at 6.3 MP. Another review site gives the 550 very high marks in "real world" pixel useage, much better than most camera so dropping down in pixels wont be as bad as other models.

A couple things I found a bit off where the optical viewfinder. I liked the viewfinder on the fuji s3000 much better. How is the viewfinder o nthe C755?

These are two very nice cameras for the money. Once I decide I wil wait till May probably. Some new models are coming out that may push prices down.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:52 AM   #27

oh and hakaplan what did you not like about the zoom levers on the e550?

I played around with one yesterday(e550) and I could not figure out how to get the digital zoom to work.

Also, have you had any luck using your 10x zoom as a quasi binocular for spotting wildlife? I would like to use the e550's 10x zoom mode to scope hillsides, etc if possible.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:57 AM   #28

Here are the differences in the viewfinders:

S3000 -- 0.33 inch 110,000 Pixels
C-750/755 -- 0.44" (1.1cm) 180,000 pixels
C-770 -- 0.44" (1.1cm) 240,000 pixels

Although I've never looked at an S3000, it's a pretty safe bet that the Olympus's are an improvement.

The zoom buttons are a problem for me specifically because being on the back of the camera they interfere with my glasses and using my left eye. If you don't have that problem, then it's not an issue. But I don't understand why camera manufacturers are so blind (no pun intended) to the fact that they are limiting their market with this design. For some reason there is a widespread belief among a majority of manufacturersthat it is impossible to shoot a camera if you have to use the same finger for zooming as you do for pressing the shutter. In the front of the camera you're using three fingers to hold the camera and your index to press the shutter. In the rear all you have is your thumb. If you have to moveyour thumb even slightly to operate the zoom,you lose your grip for an instant and have to shift your hand. It makes no sense and makes me wonder how many manufacturers actually think about the ergonomics. Or maybe I'm just ALL thumbs.

On the e550 if you're in the 12M mode you can't use the digital zoom (obviously)--that may have been the problem. Looks like in any lesser mode you should see a dividing line on the zoom indicator showing where optical zoom ends and digital begins. Once you reach the end of the optical range you have to release the zoom lever and then press it again to activate the digital zoom. Or, possibly some cameras won't allow certain features if there's no memory card.

Yes, you can use the Olympus zoom like binoculars. You can also turn on full time auto focus so that no matter where you point the camera the EVF is always focused.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:50 PM   #29

Hi Montana,

Hoping you can help with my decision between the Fuji 550 & Canon A95...I was trying to find someone who had used both & your experience with the A80 & 3100 is close. Did you notice a difference with the shutter lag between the two? That's one of the main deciding factors for me between Canon & Fuji.

Also, since it sounds like you considered the A95, could you tell me what caused you to go Fuji over Canon?

Thanks!

janetma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:39 PM   #30

Hi Janet-

Well I had two cameras in Glacier National Park. One was the Canon A80 and the other a Fuji S3000. The a80 is 4 MP and the S3000 was 3 MP. The Cannon offers a 3x optical zoom, and the Fuji offered a 6x optical zoom. I found the Canon digital zoom beyond 3x to be blurry.

I liked the fact the Fuji had 6x optical zoom. That is important for a place like a national park. I also think it's very helpful for image composition. Im not a big fan of taking super wide angle landscape shots that make the mountains look unimpressive. I instead prefer for a shot that gives one the feeling of being in the area, which often requires zooming out, then looking at the scene with your eyes, then adjusting the zoom again to get an accurate frame of what itlooks like to be there. In case tha tmade no sense, Im talking about making the pictures look like what your eyes see, not what the camer's world wants you to see. So if I am standing at a large lake surrounded by mountains (say Avalanche Lake), the mountians are in your face and very tall. But when you look through an A80 or S3100 with it's lens flat, everything looks smaller, and your picture wont be as impressive IMHO. So what I do is zoom out a bit, then look at the scene with both my eyes, get a feel for the real life frame size, then go back to the zoom until what I have on the camera looks like what im seeing with my own two eyes. Of course, this doesn't apply towards wildlife shooting or macro flower shots, but IMHO I prefer landscape shooting in ths fashion. Anyway, the a80 would not go past 3x zoom, and in some cases I could not frame my picture the way I wanted it to. Withthe 6x optical on the s3000, I could frame the pictures to what my eyes were seeing if need be on landcape shots. I found this to be more flexible.

I did prefer the swivel lcd on the A80 without question. the rest of the features were a tossup to me. I thought that the A80 shots showed a bit too much green, and the s3000 shots were a bit too contrasty, but I gave the edge to the s3000 in terms of overall picture quality.. It just took better outdoor photos IMHO. I give the edge to the a80 for any indoor shots.These cameras are pretty even IMHO, but I dont think I could live with a 3x zoom.

You may find this test very interesting between a 4mp Canon a85 and a Fuji 3 megapixel:

http://home.att.net/~jriegle/megapix.htm

Back to the e550 - why I picked it over the a95 is for many reasons.

1. 6.3 megapixels

2. 4x optical with quality digital zoom, 5.6x at 6.3 MP ,8x at 3 MP, or optionl 1.94 telephoto lense. This gives you much better ability to frame your pictures while in the field.

3. speed. The e550 is blazing fast!

4. two aa batteries.

It's just more camera for the money IMHO. Fuji is doing their best to make inroads into Canon and Kodak. The only thing that I think beats the e550 on the a95 is the swivel lcd.

For me, it is now between the Olympus C-755 4MP 10x zoom and the e550. Whichecver one ends up the better deal by May is the one I will take. Good luck on your decision!