Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:15 PM   #31

Montana, there's something else I want to mention, and to tell you the truth I had forgotten about it until going through the picture quality menu on the C-755 today. It also has an extrapolated 3200 x 2400 resolution (7.7MP) that is not widely talked about, but I took some pictures at that resolution and was surprised at how good they looked, all things considered.I'd say they are on par with the 12MP from the Fuji e550. Trouble is I don't know of any place on the web where samples are posted. In best quality JPG they are 4mb. If you want me to email you a sample, email me--my email address is in my profile. At that setting with 10X optical zoom, your effective result would be 14X. Oh when will it ever end!!!
hakaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 2:12 AM   #32

Thanks, Montana - I appreciate your input. I'm going to go give the Fuji another (closer) look.

-Janet

janetma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 1:37 PM   #33

Howard, could you tell me what camera you bought. I wear glasses and am "left eyed" also. Thanks

kindleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 1:40 PM   #34

Sorry Hakaplan, I didn't mean to call you Howard. My apologies.
Old May 23, 2005, 8:05 PM   #35

kindleon wrote:
Quote:
Howard, could you tell me what camera you bought. I wear glasses and am "left eyed" also. Thanks
You can call me Howard--that's fine. I bought an Olympus C-755, which is identical to the C-750. It's no longer available, except on ebay. The replacements are the C-760 and C-770. The viewfinder is on the far left and the zoom lever is on the front around the shutter. Most Olympus cameras are designed like this. Also certain Panasonic and Canon models are Left-eye glasses friendly. Let me know if you want more information.

Howard
hakaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 9:29 PM   #36

Dear Hakaplan Howard,

I would be extremely interested in any additional information you could give me about left-eyed cameras, i.e., the panasonic and cannon cameras you said were left-eye friendly. I like your sense of humor.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 7:27 AM   #37

Hakaplan -

so we meet again, eh? I took a break from the camera research, and have just started again,. I will be buying within two weeks.

I have gone the gamut from camera to camera to camera. I listed after the Canon S2, but the noise at ISO 50 put me off. Still waiting on the Sony H1 reviews.

I have gone round and round and basically come down to 3 cameras - the C770, S5100, and the e550.

To me, tHe Oly c770 is probably the most "perfect" digital camera I have run across in terms of image quality, video mode, size, rugged build, etc. However, it ha one huge negative- a proprietary battey, and a bad one at that. This doesn't bode well for my Montana/Yellowstone/Glacier National Park trip. They say 175 photos per battery charge. Battery takes 2 hours to charge. I guess buying a few of the generics for 20$ may work, or it may not. A guy I know sets up a external"backup" battery packthat plugs into the C770's DC port by using 4 Nimh AA's, and he gets 500 pictures a pop!

So I guess that is an option. You are right about the C cameras - they probably have the best picture quality in that range, period.

One of the things that really grabs me about the C770 is th fantastic mp4 video mode, which can do 30 minutes of 640x480 video on 512mb, with audio and 12 zooming(with an external mic plugged in). Also, the C770 has a "smart zoom" feature much like the fuji e550. You get 14x at 2 megapixel.

This is the perfect camera - except for the weak proprietary batteries. They can be had for 275$ new now as well. Fantastic build quality too!

The S5100 is very nice as well, and uses AA's. The video mode is not as nice as the C770 though. You cannot zoom while filming, but you can zoom when you pause. 640x480 AVI, much larger files, about 10 minutes per 1 gig card I believe.

The two big negatives for me on that are the vignetting in the images, and the lack of zoom in video mode.

The oly is smaller, which is nice as well.

I plan to take at least 700-900 photos on the trip. This means I will have to purchase several backup batteries for the C770, and put together that Nimh battery pack. Quite a pain in the butt, eh? With the S5100 , no worries at all. 5 hours with 4 charged nimh AA's. But the vignetting and no zoom in movie mode, plus huge files.

What's a guy to do?

Hopeguly yo uare still enjoyng your C750 - it seems like a great cam!
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 8:15 AM   #38

I started using my S5100 two days ago and have taken about 65 pictures so far. I really can't see any vignetting. I have looked at images at 100% and just can't spot any.

Also bought the TCON-17 1.7X teleconverter (about $95) and the Olympus B-28 .8X wide angle lens (between $30 and $60 on ebay auctions), both of which screw directly onto the Fuji included extension tube. They are very good, in my opinion.

The thing that the S5100 could use would be an image stabilizer, but for daylight shots I haven't found it necessary.

I have never used the Olympus C-770. However, the Fuji S5100 still has a 50 buck rebate till the end of the month.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:43 PM   #39

well ive done a lot of reviewing on the fuji S5100 for the last two weeks. Ive gotten a lot of replies from people in here that have that camera and everyone really loved it. I saw some pics that were max zoomed and i was amazed at the quality of them at full zoom. Needles to say ive ordered one and it should be here within a week cant wait
sincerecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 3:05 AM   #40

robbo wrote:
Quote:
I started using my S5100 two days ago and have taken about 65 pictures so far. I really can't see any vignetting. I have looked at images at 100% and just can't spot any.

Also bought the TCON-17 1.7X teleconverter (about $95) and the Olympus B-28 .8X wide angle lens (between $30 and $60 on ebay auctions), both of which screw directly onto the Fuji included extension tube. They are very good, in my opinion.

The thing that the S5100 could use would be an image stabilizer, but for daylight shots I haven't found it necessary.

I have never used the Olympus C-770. However, the Fuji S5100 still has a 50 buck rebate till the end of the month.

About the vignetting - have you tried taking a blue sky shot and full wide angle? Try a few of those. If you dont see it then, let me know where you got your camera from. That means they may have a good quality batch there.

Your setup wih the lenses sounds like a blast! Have you tried the smart zoom yet? You can get 14x zoom at 2 megapixels without quality loss.
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote