Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:15 PM   #1

After reading all the glowing reports of the macro abilities of the Coolpix 4500, I was disappointed to find that it is no longer available from any reputable sources. My need is for a digi that will take sharp shots of small plant seedlings and individual flower closeups. Any recommendations for what would be a good second choice to the 4500?
mountainlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:36 AM   #2

"Any recommendations for what would be a good second choice to the 4500?"

Yep, a used 4500. Although I wouldn't usually recommend a used camera, the 4500 is quite sturdy and such an exceptional camera that I took a chance on a "mint" one from an eBay seller with excellent feedback. I've never regretted it.

lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 7:02 PM   #3

There are several Nikons that are easily available and can focus closer than what the 4500 could do. You might go through the reviews and make up a list of those, and then pick the one that has the other features that might appeal to you. I would go for the 5400, since it can be had for around $200 after rebate.

You might also consider something to which you can attach close-up lenses to, which will increase your magnification even more. Something like a Panasonic FZ20 will allow you to easily mount these types of lenses. Look in the Panasonic section and the close-ups section for examples.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 7:23 PM   #4

there are still a few Brand New CP4500 on ebay.
k_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:24 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions, and I will follow up on them. I'm really nervous about buying a used camera on eBay, but am checking them out just the same. Would hate to get a "pig in a poke"! I've never bought anything on eBay before, but some people have really good luck.

I have another related question, but am not sure whether to ask it here or make a separate post. Anyway, here goes. I have several lenses from old Pentax and Mamiya SLR film cameras, and wondered if they could be used on a digital SLR. If so, would getting a digi SLR body be the way for me to go for my macro use?
Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:02 PM   #6

The Pentax DSLR will accept K-mount lenses, and screw mount lenses can be used with an adapter. Of course, the f-stop will have to be set manually with these lenses.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 4:15 PM   #7

Thanks Lucky for the reply, and it gives me something else to think about. I've not investigated digital SLRs at all, and will have to check them out. Would this setup give me sharper pictures than a regular digital camera?
Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:22 AM   #8

"Would this setup give me sharper pictures than a regular digital camera?"

That would depend on your lenses. I have quite a bit of old screw mount glass myself. Some of the lenses are outstanding. Others are only average. (I don't have the Pentax DSLR.) For your stated purpose, it's hard to beat the 4500. It has a wonderful lens. Incidentally, I've owned a Coolpix 950, two 995's, and a 4500. All were bought used off of eBay, and I never had a problem with any of them. The secret to making a good purchase on eBay is to buy from someone with an excellent feedback rating (close to 100%) and enough feedback to establish credibility. I look for excellent pictures that will show the cosmetic condition of the camera, and a clear description of everything that is up for auction. If I have any questions, I email the seller well in advance of the close of the auction. I look at already completed auctions to get an idea of the average selling price of the camera model in which I'm interested, and I know exactly how much I'm willing to pay before I place a bid. I never get caught up in the bidding process and pay too much.