Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:34 AM   #1

Im looking to buy a new digital camera (my old is an Olympus D-566) and i tried these2 models. But im not sure which one would be the best for me!!! I want a fast camera (Olympus look faster), fast sequential mode (again Olympus look also faster), fast zoom.

Im taking a lot of fast object like horses jumping or running, Pictures are marine animal (need a very fast camera.) so i need of agood camera and a great quality image!!

Does C-765 has a anti-shake?

Im looking these 2 models because they are in my range of price!! And i really want an 4 megapixels camera, zoom 10-12X optique, compact camera.

All help is welcome

Thanks

Laurie
Laurie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2005, 8:35 PM   #2

Please need of your opinions
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:18 PM   #3

Hi Laurie,

the Olympus does not have Image Stabilization/Anti-Shake technology.

I'd take a look at the Panasonic FZ series (either FZ3, FZ15, or FZ20, new ones are coming out soon). See how you like them.

Also, as you probably know from your old digicam, shutter lag slows down many consumer digicams.

I like the Olympus pictures (had C-700 and have C-740), but I find the FZ3 to be much more responsive, in addition to the IS (and slightly extended zoom range).
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:23 PM   #4

I would also recommend the Panasonic Lumix FZ20 (5MP) or FZ15 (4MP). These are all around better cameras and values than the two you are looking at. Images are a lot sharper than the Minolta Z3 in particular. And the FZ20 is Steve's winner in the Mega zoom class.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 1:33 AM   #5

I was shopping around last week for a digital camera myself. For my price range (around $400 to $500) and zoom requirements, I finally narrowed my choices to either the Olympus C-770 or The Minolta Z3. I was disappointed with the Olympus since even though it had 10x zoom, the lack of Anti-shake made it very difficult to get a clear focus at maximum zoom setting (and I was only focusing on a stationary sign). I also found it very difficult to hold firmly in my hands because of its size, shape and button configuration. For someone with smaller hands it may work. I notice that this problem also goes for the rest of the other brands and models with the same form factor.

Luckily, the supplier was offering an alternative which was the Konika Minolta Z3. This one felt just perfect for me. I can grip it firmly with my right hand and with the rubber grips on the sides, there was very little danger of the camera accidentally slipping from my grasp. The camera gave me a clear focus at maximum zoom (on the same signboard). The anti-shake feature really helps. And best of all, I was able to buy it at $80 cheaper than the C770!

I'm very sure that there are better cameras out there (I also wanted to look at The FZ10 but it's close to $700), but this camera gets my vote in terms of value-for-money.

Whatever you decide, make sure to follow the advice of a lot of professionals in this forum and try out the camera first before deciding.

I was able to get the following shot whithin minutes of opening the box.
Attached Images

Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 7:10 AM   #6

Thanks soo much all!!!

I took a lot on panasonic but Z15-Z20 and too much expensive and too big camera!!! Also panasonic model can't zoom in movies!! That why im not loking these model!!!

My choice is really between 3 model

Olympus C-765

Canon S1 IS

Minolta Z3

Like thebac and nols said Olympus dont have any image stabilization/Anti-Shake.

So now my choice would be between Canon and Minolta!!

How is the Canon S1 IS, should a make a new post to ask?

Thanks again

Laurie
Old Mar 10, 2005, 9:19 AM   #7

Laurie11 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks soo much all!!!

I took a lot on panasonic but Z15-Z20 and too much expensive and too big camera!!! Also panasonic model can't zoom in movies!! That why im not loking these model!!!

My choice is really between 3 model

Olympus C-765

Canon S1 IS

Minolta Z3

Like thebac and nols said Olympus dont have any image stabilization/Anti-Shake.

So now my choice would be between Canon and Minolta!!

How is the Canon S1 IS, should a make a new post to ask?

Thanks again

Laurie
The best ultra-zoom for still pics is the Panasonic. You can look at the low-end (3 megapixel) model like the FZ3 if the FZ20 is too expensive. However, the Pansonics have inferior video mode.

I would say the S1 IS is better than Konica Minolta Z3. The weaknesses of the Canon are its low megapixels (3 MP but it's cheaper) and weak low-light pics. It's strengths are very good movie mode (requires large memory card though), and decent overall features (eg. good lens, flip-out LCD, etc).

The Olympus has no IS but it is the smallest of the ultra-zooms. If size is a concern, you may want to look at the Olympus.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote