Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 8, 2005, 8:27 PM   #1

Hello,

I'm trying to get into stock photography and have found that my biggest obstacle is getting good enough pictures with the current 3mp Fuji I have. I'm looking at buying a better camera now. Originally I had my eye on the Olympus C8080, but now I am also considering the Nikon Coolpix 8800. I would like 8mp, or more, great crisp clear pictures in numerous situations, including indoor, outdoor, sport, night, etc. Macro shots are especially important now.

I'm kind of new to photography and I'm learning as I go. So I would like something that is farely easy to use, but at the same time gives me the ability to grow into. I'm not really looking into DSLR's quite yet, that will probably come some time in the future. I borrowed a friends Olympus C8080 on vacation and took a few hundred photos, just to discover they were on ISO 400, so I didn't get a good idea of how clear the pictures were. In the reveiws I liked the photos for both the Olympus and the Nikon, but the nightime picture with the Nikon really caught my eye.

I'm open to suggestions, been looking at getting a new camera for about a year now and I'm having a hard time deciding what it is that I want. Now that I am doing stock I have a little more of an idea of what I need, now it's just a matter of finding it. I'm also looking at these two because they include the remote, both 8mp, good pictures, swivel screen, appear to have pretty good macro capability and also have the ability to add on some lenses in the future.

Any opinions on which camera to buy is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Snick :|
snicker_bar4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:04 PM   #2

First of all may I arsk why you want an 8mp digital camera. You need to arsk your self what size you want to blow up your pics too. These cameras are very expensive for what a prosumer model. I cant see why you would not want to look into a dslr camera. With a good glass the pics will be much better.

But the nikon Would be a better bet. I own the nikon cp 5700 and It is a good camera. But I also shoot with by D70. The difference between them if for one is the low night shows and the low light focusing. Thats where the Dslr comes into play

Just decide what you want to do

Brett:blah::blah:
bassfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:34 AM   #3

I want to be able to blow my pictures up as much as possible for future use. I want to have good quality pictures. I also do a lot of videos out of the pictures I have taken. I currently have 2, 3 and 4 mp cameras and I'm just not pleased with them once I make videos out of the pictures.

I am an amateur and I've never used a manual camera, so I really don't know how to use a camera that I would have to focus and everything. I really don't have any way to try a DSLR before I buy it, which is another reason I don't want to do it just yet.

I've read reviews on both camera, here and also PC World Mag and the site that helps you decide on the camera you want on this page. The olympus has always been rated higher, but I don't really know how it rates comparitively with pictures and such. I like the fact that Nikon has the stabalization, which I think could really help me with shots while on vacation and things without a tripod.

I'm kind of considering majoring in photography, so right now I am more interested in learning to use settings and stuff to get the best picture. If I decide to get more serious I will probably purchase a SLR to see if I like it and kind of get the hang of it and then get a DSLR.

But at this point I am most interested in getting a really good quality point and shoot with a nice amount of features.

Thanks,

http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=3454
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:14 AM   #4

I would suggest a digital SLR if you feel you need the quality photo's you seem to think you need. Take a look at the Canon 300D, Nikon D70 and the Pentax *istDs, all of which will take better photo's than the 8800.

After trying all three I chose the *stDS but you should make your own decision by taking the time to go to a camera shop and try all of them.

Take any reviews with a grain of salt, as the reviewers opinion may not be the same as yours in practical application.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:24 AM   #5

Okay, if I were not to go for a DSLR, what camera would be the best choice? I'm not ready to get a DSLR YET, I will be getting one in the future. But as of now I want a camera that takes good pictures, but is still easy to use on vacations and things. I want to be able to adjust ISO settings and such as well. But right now I do not want a DSLR, I'm looking for a nice point and shoot.

Thanks,

http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=3454