Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 11, 2005, 4:01 PM   #11

Take a look at the Panasonic FZ15. You can get it delivered in the US for $375, so you might be able to bring it in with a SD card for your price. It is large and doesn't have a hot shoe.

You might wait for the FZ5. It will be a smaller 5Mp camera with 12X zoom and stabilization. The f-stop goes to f3.3 at full zoom, but that is still at least as good as any other super zoom and better than most. That just means it doesn't let in quite as much light at full zoom, but with stabilization it is still very useable.

The Pentax 750Z is $415 delivered in the US. It is larger than a sub-compact but still reasonably small. It is 7Mp with a 5X zoom. Lots of bells and whistles. No stabilization, but you could get by without it in that zoom range. Stabilization is great for all zoom ranges and very useful at wider angles. But you can live without it in most cases with a 5X zoom. You just can't get those great indoor available light shots you can with stabilization.

Everybody says they want the best picture quality. It is very hard to tell the difference between good cameras once you learn to use them.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:50 PM   #12

If you want zoom, you might want to wait until the newly announced cameras from the PMA show (like the Konica Minolta Z5, Panasonic FZ4 and FZ5, or Sony H1) are released. Some of these newly announced ones look good on paper and may be good deals. Can you wait 2 months? Or do you need something right away?

If you don't need high zoom (10x+) but would still like decent zoom (say 6x) then the newly announced Pansonic LZ1 and LZ2 look like killer compact cameras. But we need to wait for them to come out.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:55 PM   #13

Check out the Sony P200. I believe it has all the features you are looking for including a very good manual and auto white balance.
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 1:46 PM   #14
JM

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
If you want zoom, you might want to wait until the newly announced cameras from the PMA show (like the Konica Minolta Z5, Panasonic FZ4 and FZ5, or Sony H1) are released. Some of these newly announced ones look good on paper and may be good deals. Can you wait 2 months? Or do you need something right away?

If you don't need high zoom (10x+) but would still like decent zoom (say 6x) then the newly announced Pansonic LZ1 and LZ2 look like killer compact cameras. But we need to wait for them to come out.
Hi Sivaram, thanks again for information. I don't need the camera right away and can wait until the end of May.

I had a look at the Panasonic LZ1 and LZ2, they look great, but have one major problem for me ... the don't have an optical viewfinder!!! I think I will miss that!

I
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 1:51 PM   #15
JM

slipe wrote:
Quote:
Take a look at the Panasonic FZ15. You can get it delivered in the US for $375, so you might be able to bring it in with a SD card for your price. It is large and doesn't have a hot shoe.

You might wait for the FZ5. It will be a smaller 5Mp camera with 12X zoom and stabilization. The f-stop goes to f3.3 at full zoom, but that is still at least as good as any other super zoom and better than most. That just means it doesn't let in quite as much light at full zoom, but with stabilization it is still very useable.
Quote:

The Pentax 750Z is $415 delivered in the US. It is larger than a sub-compact but still reasonably small. It is 7Mp with a 5X zoom. Lots of bells and whistles. No stabilization, but you could get by without it in that zoom range. Stabilization is great for all zoom ranges and very useful at wider angles. But you can live without it in most cases with a 5X zoom. You just can't get those great indoor available light shots you can with stabilization.

Everybody says they want the best picture quality. It is very hard to tell the difference between good cameras once you learn to use them.
Thanks to you too Slipe!

I put the FZ5 on my list ...

The Pentax you mentioned with its 7MP is too much for me, I want max. 4-5 MP

Old Mar 14, 2005, 1:51 PM   #16
JM

slipe wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks to you too Slipe!

I put the FZ5 on my list ...

The Pentax you mentioned with its 7MP is too much for me, I want max. 4-5 MP

Old Mar 14, 2005, 1:57 PM   #17
JM

@kona001

Thanks for suggestion, but I really do not need 7MP!