Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:25 AM   #1
JM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 10
Default

[align=left]Hi All:bye:[/align]


[align=left]That's my actual situation ...:?...:angry:... I'm looking for my first digital camera and I'm more than confused ... so I hope to find some help here!:idea:[/align]


[align=left]I want to be able to take it with mewhile hiking (Summer and Winter), so I'm basically looking for a small, lightweight, well made camera of excellent quality.[/align]


[align=left]Design, brand and price not important to me[/align]


[align=left]3-4 MP[/align]


[align=left]Good optical zoom[/align]


[align=left]Aperture 2.8 - 4.4[/align]


[align=left]I love to take pictures of my dog (so I think I need a fast AF and an image stabilization) family, people, and a lot of outdoor pics (beach and snow). [/align]


[align=left][/align]


[align=left]Video Mode is not important to me[/align]


[align=left]No own printing, max prints 8 x10 by professionals[/align]


[align=left]I would like a "big" LCD monitor[/align]


[align=left]and also the modus Black&White and Sepia[/align]


[align=left]I wish a good Macro[/align]


[align=left]White Balance??? [/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]If you need to know more, just ask ...:-)[/align]

[align=left]Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to receive a lot of answers...[/align]


[align=left][/align]
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2005, 8:05 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 19
Default

You may consider Fuji5100 or 5500, it has 6x or 10 zoom, auto and manual, nice photo quality, pleased color, you can use in whole situation.
zanwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:30 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Posts: 4,036
Default

There is only one really small digital camera with stabilization and that is the Panasonic FX7. It also has a giant LCD. It does not have an optical viewfinder though. And the LCD doesn't brighten enough in low light, so it is hard to frame a flash shot in very low light.

Panasonic has announced two new small cameras with stabilization, the LZ1 and LZ2. They aren't as compact as the FX7 but they are quite small for cameras with 6X stabilized lenses. They also have only a LCD and no optical finder. I don't think any reviews are out, but I would expect that the LCD doesn't brighten properly like other cameras – nobody at Panasonic seems to know how to make LCDs and EVFs brighten in low light. But they persist in releasing cameras with which that is the only way to frame a shot.

If you want a large LCD and stabilization and don't care about having an optical finder you might look at the FX7 or wait for reviews of the LZ1&2.

Most cameras have the ability to shoot B&W or sepia. I would never do that since it is easy to convert in any image editing software and the results are the same. What you can't do is decide you would have preferred the photo in color after you shoot B&W or sepia in the camera.

The FX7 has the standard white balance presets plus a manual white balance – unusual for a very point and shoot oriented camera.

If you eliminate the stabilization there are a lot of good small cameras out there. I love stabilization on my large camera, but I agree with Phil at dpreview that the stabilization on the FX7 just about makes up for the unsteadiness of having to hold the camera out in front of you rather than have a solid stance with an optical finder.

Give us a price, zoom range and size range. Or go to Steve's list of "Best Cameras" and narrow things down a little. Come back with a few choices and people can discuss the alternatives. You might also consider the advantages of a fully articulated (or flip-out) LCD instead of the largest one you can get.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:15 AM   #4
JM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 10
Default

Thanks Zanwang, but before looking after these "larger" digital cameras, I want to check out if I can find one to put in a pocket
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:32 AM   #5
JM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 10
Default

slipe wrote:
Quote:
There is only one really small digital camera with stabilization and that is the Panasonic FX7. It also has a giant LCD. It does not have an optical viewfinder though. And the LCD doesn't brighten enough in low light, so it is hard to frame a flash shot in very low light.
Quote:
I evendo not know what is an "optical viewfinder" ...:roll:
Quote:
Quote:
Panasonic has announced two new small cameras with stabilization, the LZ1 and LZ2. They aren't as compact as the FX7 but they are quite small for cameras with 6X stabilized lenses. They also have only a LCD and no optical finder. I don't think any reviews are out, but I would expect that the LCD doesn't brighten properly like other cameras – nobody at Panasonic seems to know how to make LCDs and EVFs brighten in low light. But they persist in releasing cameras with which that is the only way to frame a shot.
Quote:
As I have no digital experience, it's difficult for me to juge this problem ...:O
Quote:
If you want a large LCD and stabilization and don't care about having an optical finder you might look at the FX7 or wait for reviews of the LZ1&2.
Quote:
The "large LCD" was just an idea ... I don't know if it's really necessary ...

Quote:
Most cameras have the ability to shoot B&W or sepia. I would never do that since it is easy to convert in any image editing software and the results are the same. What you can't do is decide you would have preferred the photo in color after you shoot B&W or sepia in the camera.
Quote:
Quote:
:roll:I really have to lern a lot ... thanks for information ... I ignored!
Quote:
Quote:
The FX7 has the standard white balance presets plus a manual white balance – unusual for a very point and shoot oriented camera.
Quote:
Does all camera have this white balance???
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you eliminate the stabilization there are a lot of good small cameras out there. I love stabilization on my large camera, but I agree with Phil at dpreview that the stabilization on the FX7 just about makes up for the unsteadiness of having to hold the camera out in front of you rather than have a solid stance with an optical finder.
Quote:
So you think that I do not really need a stabilization???:?
Quote:
Quote:
Give us a price, zoom range and size range. Or go to Steve's list of "Best Cameras" and narrow things down a little. Come back with a few choices and people can discuss the alternatives. You might also consider the advantages of a fully articulated (or flip-out) LCD instead of the largest one you can get.
Quote:
Quote:
Price should not exceed 500$. Best zoom available ... and I would prefer a "pocket" size to carry it all the time with me. The Flip-out LCD is a good idea. I already looked at "Best Cameras", but you know, when you don't understand anything about digital cameras, it's really very difficult to make a choice ... that's why I asked for help...:-)
Quote:
I
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:34 AM   #6
JM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 10
Default

Sorry Slipe ... forgot to say a BIG THANK YOU for all your information!!!:love:
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 6:28 AM   #7
JM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 10
Default

Me again ...:?

what about:

- Canon PowerShot A510

- Canon PowerShot SD300

- Ricoh Capilo RZ1

- HP Photosmart R707

Thanks again ...


JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 12:56 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 838
Default

JM wrote:
Quote:
[align=left]Hi All:bye:[/align]
yo sup :bye:


Quote:
[align=left]I want to be able to take it with me while hiking (Summer and Winter), so I'm basically looking for a small, lightweight, well made camera of excellent quality.[/align]
Most cameras are not waterproof so I don't know how much of a role that is going to play. I don't think it really matters but it's something to keep in mind.

I think you should look for what I would call ultra-compact, rather than compact. Ultra-compact cameras are the smallest ones around. They typically have less manual controls and may have slightly less picture quality, but they are very portable, usually of better build (metal cases), large LCD screens, and are the simplest to use. I would recommend ultra-compacts such as the Canon SD line (eg. SD300/SD400/etc) and the Panasonic FX line (eg. Pansonic FX7). If you want to sacrifice some features/pic quality for lower cost, you can look at something like the Casio Z line (eg. Casio Z55).

Quote:
[align=left]Good optical zoom[/align]
Most ultra-compacts (and even compacts) only have standard zoom: 3x/4x. So unless you want to go for a bigger camera, you really have little choice with zoom. (Do note that the newly announced compacts from Panasonic, such as LZ1 and LZ2 (if I'm getting the model #'s right), have 6x zoom).

Quote:
[align=left]Aperture 2.8 - 4.4[/align]
Most cameras satisfy those requirements. The better cameras with better lens (like from Sony, Canon, Panasonic, etc) typically have lower aperature values while the cheaper models have bigger aperature values (and hence are slightly worse). However, check the aperature values for the models you are itnerested in.

Quote:
[align=left]I love to take pictures of my dog (so I think I need a fast AF and an image stabilization) family, people, and a lot of outdoor pics (beach and snow). [/align]
Motion pics are always tough, especially indoors or night... outdoors will be ok.


Quote:
[align=left]Video Mode is not important to me[/align]
Roughly speaking, the Sonys typically have the best video. If you care about video, make sure you get a camera with at least 640x480 @ 30fps with sound recording and ability to zoom during movie (some cameras won't let you zoom in movie mode).... Canons have crippled video mode, which is usually restricted but the newer models may be ok...

Quote:
[align=left]No own printing, max prints 8 x10 by professionals[/align]
8"x10" would require a minimum of 3 megapixels (without cropping) for average quality. If you want better quality, you need more megapixels... I would go for a little bit more (say 4 megapixels+)... nearly all ultra-zooms have 4MP+, with most of the 2005 models at 5MP+, so you'll likely be ok on the megapixel front...

Quote:
[align=left]I would like a "big" LCD monitor[/align]
Ultra-compacts usually have big LCDs... try to go for one with 2" LCD...

Quote:
[align=left]and also the modus Black&White and Sepia[/align]
This is hard to figure out but nearly all cameras have special modes like B&W, Sepia, Vivid Colour, etc...

Quote:
[align=left]I wish a good Macro[/align]
Some have good macro but most will just have average macro performance... If you really want macro, you need to look for particular models. I'm not really into macro so I don't know but I think the Nikon Coolpix cameras are good for macro (double check with others)...

Quote:
[align=left]White Balance??? [/align]
Nearly all the decent cameras will have different white balance settings... but some may not have manual white balance...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 1:08 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 838
Default

Let me jump into Slipe's post... hope he/she doesn't mind

JM wrote:
Quote:
slipe wrote:
Quote:
There is only one really small digital camera with stabilization and that is the Panasonic FX7. It also has a giant LCD. It does not have an optical viewfinder though. And the LCD doesn't brighten enough in low light, so it is hard to frame a flash shot in very low light.
Quote:
I even do not know what is an "optical viewfinder" ...:roll:

Optical viewfinder is the "eyepiece window" you look through when taking pictures.... you know... the thing everyone looks at when trying to frame and focus a picture... optical viewfinder is present in all film cameras but some digital cameras don't have it (usually the ultra-compacts either don't have it or have a horrible/tiny one)... I personally don't think this matters as long as you have a big LCD. Since I frame my pics with the LCD, the viewfinder is useless to me (however, the viewfinder can help in situations where glare off the LCD makes it hard to see)...

Quote:
Quote:
If you want a large LCD and stabilization and don't care about having an optical finder you might look at the FX7 or wait for reviews of the LZ1&2.
Quote:
[b]The "large LCD" was just an idea ... I don't know if it's really necessary ...
I think a large LCD is desirable, especially for small cameras...

Quote:
[b]Does all camera have this white balance???
Most of the decent cameras have several white balance settings. However, usually only the manual-oriented ones (and the bigger cameras) have manual white balance....

(BTW, in case you didn't know, white balance is basically used to adjust the camera/picture for differing lighting situations. For example, incadescent light bulbs produce an orange-like colour, while flourescent could be a bluish/whitish colour, and so on. The white balance will lget you adjust your camera so that a picture looks ok with various lights).

Quote:
So you think that I do not really need a stabilization???:?
I value IS highly but I don't think it is that helpful for low-zoom cameras (like the ones we are looking at here)...nevertheless, if you narrow down your choices to 2 similar cameras, I would probably pick the one with IS...

Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:08 AM   #10
JM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 10
Default

Hi Sivaram and thanks for all these great information!!!

Yesterdey I went to a shop and had a look at several ultra-compact cameras and now I know, that I would like a BIGGER one! They really are too small ... I've been carrying my old Pentax with me for years, so I will be able to do it with a bigger digi!

Iwant to buy a camera with the best picture quality.

OK for a 4 or 5 MP one.

A good zoom remains one of the main priorities for my future camera.

Now that I know, what is an "optical viewfinder":roll:... I would like a camera which has one!

Brand ist not important to me, but price should not exceed 500$...

Any suggestions???

Thanks for your help:-)










JM is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:21 AM.