Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 9, 2005, 4:49 PM   #1

I figure to match the zoom level of the Nikon i would buy the (a) Teleconvertor for the Olympus. It sound like the Olympus is faster in terms of zoom and loading speed (onto CF card).

I really like the idea of the ED glass but would it really be that much worse than th Olympus.

Yes i'm trying to sell the Olympus to myself but i hope i dont end up with the wrong camera in the end. I have read reviews all week long and i'm now ready to buy a Prosumer camera (literally hours behind this darn computer).

Someone needs to steer me one way or the other and as always thanks for any help that comes my way.

Or how bout the Panasonic FZ 20 Heard good things about that one also
Dntouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2005, 8:51 PM   #2

Been there done that. :?I was going between the FZ-20, CP8800, and briefly the 8080.

I decided on the CP8800. I think it's the most bang for my bucks. Seriously, I think it's under-priced at less than $625 after rebate. I've only had it for about a week now,but I'm quite happy thus far.

The Olympus just felt too BIG,and I've seen an awful lot of refurbs on ebay. Not sure why, but it just gave me an uneasy feeling about purchasing a new one. The Panasonic felt too light for its size. Meaning it's mostly plastic, and probably notvery durable. I also felt the price is somewhat high. Oh, and the shutter is awkwardly placed, for me anyway.

I'd suggest you go out to a few stores and physically try all three cameras out before you purchase one.

Good Luck,

Mike
Mike_61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. i have in fact touched and tried almost every camera (of this genre) and liked the feel of the Olympus . I liked the zoom on the Sony 828 and the features of the Minolta A200. Also i looked at a Fuji , and a Canon, and well you get the picture. (no pun intended)

What camera are you coming from Mike_61? This is a down grade for me (anything in the "prosumer" class).. Also could you post a couple pictures from your last week or at the very least just email a couple over? [email protected]

Thanks for your input..

Anyone else.?
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:41 AM   #4

When I was looking at the CP8800, I learned that there were issues with noise, slow focus and slow writing times that you may want to look at...

Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:22 PM   #5

Mike_61 wrote:
Quote:
The Olympus just felt too BIG,and I've seen an awful lot of refurbs on ebay. Not sure why, but it just gave me an uneasy feeling about purchasing a new one.
Reported AF problem in early models (reportedly fixed w/ a firmware upgrade), I think alot of people got frustrated and returned to stores w/in weeks of purchase, stores then returned to Oly, which must check these "used" cameras before it can re-sell - and must re-sell as refurbs. I haven't had any problems after 4 months.

Also, if posts I've read here and elsewhere over the past several months are any indication, most of the complaints re: the 8080 come from users who migrated from a simple P&S to a rather complicated 8080, and get poor results because they simply don't know much about photography or the camera's features or both. The 8080 is not a P&S.

Built like a tank, fantastic lens, very accurate AF (can be sluggish in low-light, like any prosumer), very feature-rich w/ near infinite adjustability, fairly low noise for a prosumer, great color and WB, powerful flash. Super image quality - I have been very, very pleased. Has itslimitations (slow write times for RAW is my single biggest complaint), but every prosumer does. I bought mine new off ebay for ~$600 - don't know that I would have spent much more for an 8080, but I didn't so... I had a C750 and do miss the long zoom, but I'd rather have 28mm wide than long tele anyday. Also, the 8080's shorter zoom ratio translates into a larger sweet spot and fewer compromises than, e.g., a 28-200 or 35-350. Really a fine lens.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 11:43 PM   #6

Well ends up i purchsed a Panasonic FZ20. I have a good 2 weeks to return it if i dont like it so i decided to give it a try. Less megapixel count but for the size of the pictures i will be doing (printing) its more than adequate.

I also purchased a 1GB SD 60X ATP card for it. The camera (in store) was very fast compared to others that i had tried and i have tried a bunch this week. The zoom and Image Stabilization are great along with the battery life. I have read alot recently and it seems like the Panasonic was impressive to all different walks of life and even Steves Digicam review gave it a thumbs up.

I guess we will see. I will be shooting many photos and in many different scenerios over the next 2 weeks for sure.

Thanks for your input thus far.