Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2005, 9:09 PM   #1

hello

i dont normally ask for help like this i do my own research but this is different im stuck in japan and want to buy a new cam before i go home to new zealand but it is very hard to research any cameras or prices as i dont speak a word of japenese haha

what i would love is if someone could help me out what im looking for is a slr camera of good quilty i want to spend around us 1000 maybe 1500 even a touch more if its worth it i would be using the camera for many things from high res desgin work to outside action shots

i have looked at a few but its hard to no what im gettinh when its all in japenese iv looked at the cannon 10d and 20d they look good also the sonys fs828 i really am stuck and am leaving for home soon any help at all would be greatful

thanku
wanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:24 PM   #2

20D in my mind is the best of those three by far but i dont know toooooo much because they were out of my price range at the time. if you can find the Rebel XT, run with it
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:33 PM   #3

Hmmmmm...I'd agree, 20D is the best performer,and I hate to sound like a broken record, B U T is size an issue? Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 6:55 AM   #4

How about the Pentax*ist DS? You could get it and some nice lenses. You know, a lot of people in those Japanese camera stores speak English, some of them pretty fluently. YOu could ask around, compare their answers, and find out for yourself what seems like the best deal.

Are you in or near Tokyo?
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 7:58 AM   #5

How long you in Japan? If only a week or so, then I'd go to Shinjuku's western exit (nishiguchi) and head for Yodobashi camera. They should have English speakers there, and you should also be able to get a bit cheaper price on their "duty-free" floor. Another place to check is Bic camera in Shibuya. The only real problem with these guys is that they offer 10-15% additional discount if you have one of their members cards, but many people don't know about them, and the discount is only good toward future purchases. What that means is, you apply for the card, buy the camera, then turn around and buy something else for free with the $100 worth of points you've accumulated on the camera purchase.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:56 PM   #6

thankyou guys

yea im thinking the 20d may slightly be out of price range but i will see or the rebal XT not sure wat the difference is between that and the rebal and the even the 300D all very confusing

wat does anyone think of the sony options in this area? are they worth a look or not

kennethD sorry but what do you mean by is size an issue? in what aspect?

am now only in japan till the end of the week im in nigata at the moment but will be in tokyo for two days in the weekend or friday maybe

thanks for that advice norm im not that firmila with japan so il see what i can do about finding those places the place i was going to go to was laOX or daOX not sure wat its called i went there on the way out here its in the elictronic town in tokyo they have duty free and speak some english

thankyou again

wanaka
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:36 PM   #7

Sony doesn't make SLR cameras so no one has mentioned them. Their highest end cameras are V3 and F828, which are prosumer and long zoom models respectively. But these days some SLRs cost less than these offerings, so there is less argument to get them.

Also be aware of the difference in model names in Japanese market. Rebel 300D are called KISS Digital, and 350D are called KISS Digital N.

It sounds like you have been to Akihabara. Chuo-dori is lined with many stores like Laox, Sato-musen and Sofmap that want tourists' business. Just follow the duty free sign. :arrow: The stores off the beaten path are less expensive up front as they don't play the point card game.

http://www.kakaku.com/sku/pricemenu/dezikame.htm is the best web site to research camera prices in Japan. A little Japanese is necessary to navigate around the site.
msb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:23 AM   #8

You will notice a great difference in physical size between the prosumer and the Dslr. One reason is the CCD size or CMOS sensor size requires a larger lense to accomodate it. (Pentax or the Evolt may be smaller than mosr Dslr's). The smaller CCD allows a smaller lense, and the prosumer body is smaller and lighter. Prosumers have a lot of built in bells and whistles, hard to ignore. IS, manual settings, swivel lcd'ssingle small lense with a large zoom, meaning no dust to gather on the ccd when you change lenses (as you would on a Dslr). Oh, ya. It's is a tough choice, one I have not solved in at least 6 months of back and forth internal debate. Best regards, good luck!

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:29 AM   #9

sorry i sound very uneducated not nowing sony dosnt make slr i didnt really even no there was a difference
physical size is no problem at all i have a small digi so that goes everywhere so that is no problem
i am now confused with the prosumer and slr difference but i think slr is the way i will go the
thanku for letting me no the difference in model names that was really confusing me i hade a wee look at that web site and i now think the 300D and 350D are more in my price range. i take it they r slr? but if anyone thinks it is worth me paying the extra i would love to no?
what i really want is a camera that will take good images for disgin work as in posters in photoshop and the like allso photos of sculptures but i allso need it to take good action shots up the ski field and the like. i may be looking at the wrong camera altogther but i dont really no.
Akihabara is where we went i walked around a bit but didnt really see any other stores. but you think i am better off if i dont just go to laox? i thought that may be the case i will be searching for somewhere else
thankyou very much for this information guys it is a big
help i will be in tokyo on friday searching
thankyou
anymore replys by thusday would be great otherwise i will let you no how i get on.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 7:09 AM   #10

I think if one is serious about photography, then he should get a SLR by all means. Unless if the user needs the camera to do things that SLR can't, like taking movies or be pocketable. Don't forget to budget for a lens or two. I really don't know much about lenses, but you can always get a kit and upgrade later. Given your budget, you can comfortably fit an entry-level SLR and a lens.

There are many entry-level SLR on the market. Canon 350D, Olympus E-300, Nikon D70, Pentax *ist Ds, Konica-Minolta a7, etc. They are all very good, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. The great thing about being in Japan is the big stores have all the cameras on display. So get to a Yodobashi or Bic Camera and try them.

I agree with Norm's advice on the stores. I think it would be prudent to stick to big stores like Yodobashi or Bic. These chains have stores practically at every train station, with their main stores at Shinjuku and Ikebukuro respectively. Laox, Sofmap, Sato-Musen, and Yamagiwa are the major players in the Akihabara market.

Enjoy your trip! I love shopping in Akiba and Shinjuku.
msb0b is offline   Reply With Quote