Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:09 AM   #1

I noice in the Canon A-series reviews that both of these guys never have anything bad to say about the CAnon A series. This series is known for purple fringing, yet they never mention it.

However, they seem to mention it alot in the Fuji reviews. I found this quite strange. They also don't point out that Canon's competitors are offering longer optical zooms for the same money, something the A-series lacks.

Do these two work for Cannon in any capacity?
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2005, 3:36 PM   #2

ssshhh! Don't tell anyone but Steve's real name is Fujio Mitarai!
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 1:08 PM   #3

I've noticed that Canon does get a lot of attention here. Maybe it is a superior camera!

The Fuji and Olympus reviews are kind of bland.

I always thought Olympus was #1 in digital cameras but perhaps that has changed.
rokky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:11 PM   #4

IMHO Olympus takes the best pictures! Clarity & color to die for, BUT, their digitalcameras are SO SLOW! and for one of the Top CameraMakers they can't seem to get their act together, No IS, No zoom in video (unless u give up your sound???) whats that all about, you can't have both? software thats a nightmare, and menu's to difficult to operate, and where is the AF assist light? Cmon Olympus, you could be Number1

MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:23 AM   #5

i noticedthe pro-canon sentiments,too. seems like canon can do no wrong and Kodakseems to always justfall short of the recommended cameras. hmmm....
kcmargulies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 1:33 PM   #6

I've noticed that with the Canon A series too. So much so that when my younger brother was looking for a camera I suggested he try one out...well we both hated it and it went back the same day, a Canon A95 I believe it was. The pictures were way too dark on auto mode and the thing was just plain bulky with 4 batteries to say the least, I think there are much better options out there than Canon but most reviewers seem to love them.
saleenadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 2:26 PM   #7

I have seen no grounds for calling Steve's integrity into question. He takes his standard series of pictures and if purple fringing doesn't show up he doesn't report it. Maybe you could tell us which particular Fuji you are upset about so we can compare Steve's sample photos.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 2:52 PM   #8

Steves personal camera is a Nikon D70. I think you are looking for something that isn't there...
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:03 PM   #9

Yeah I just find it interesting that a few of these review sites are so pro Canon A series when they are behind the ball in terms of zoom and megapixels per dollar.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The a series does have issues with fringing that shows up more in prints than the Fuji cameras, yet the CAnons are treated with kid gloves and other cameras are almost ridiculed ( not just steve, im talking about a few other reviewers as well).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"For example, Fuji will get ripped for not offering a feature, yet no one scolds cannon for making only 3x zooms on the a series.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Im not saying there is some consipracy or anything. All I was saying is that the CanonA series reviews on many sites seem to use kid gloves, while the other camera makes get a rougher treatment overal in tone.
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 6:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Yeah I just find it interesting that a few of these review sites are so pro Canon A series when they are behind the ball in terms of zoom and megapixels per dollar.
You had a potentially valid point (not about Steve in particular but about pro-canon comments) until this statement in my opinion. Especially the megapixel part. The marketing departments of a number of manufacturers have brainwashed people into zoom and megapixel being the only important things - my God, I must run out and buy an 8mp camera - even though all I ever print out is 4x6 photos. The truth is giving you more zoom or more megapixels doesn't gaurantee a better product. In fact a number of the newer cameras produce pictures of lesser quality than their earlier siblings (increased noise due to smaller pixels on same sized sensor). While zoom is one factor, sharpness, color accuracy and performance are more important, IMO. I'd rather have a shorter zoom camera that produces better quality pictures than a 12x 8mp camera that produces so-so pictures. Not saying Canon is better than the others but zoom and mp are not the best standards to rate a camera on. Just my opinion
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote