Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:30 PM   #1

Does anyone out there know the purpose or advantage of buying the new canon SD500 which is a 7.1 meg. vs the Canon SD400 which is there new 5.0meg ultra slim camera. I'm looking to buy a new slim camera. I currently have a Minolta Dimage Xi which is a 3.2meg. I want a small camera that I can take anywhere with a larger LCD. My Minolta has a small 1.5 and the new Canon camera have 2.0 LCD. The SD400 is not out yet, but it looks like a very nice camera. The SD500 is out, but I have not seen it yet. If I only plan to print normal size prints is there a purpose of buying a 7.1meg. Is there a disadvantage of having a camera with 7.1 meg...does it take up to much room to store the images, does it have a slower processing, etc. etc. Please can anyone help.
aww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2005, 9:53 AM   #2

i think the best thing that came out of the two new cameras is that it made the SD300 drrop by $50. if you are doing anything 8.5x 11 and smaller the 4MP should be fine and up to $150 cheaper than the new ones.
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 10:41 PM   #3

I haven't seen a good review of either. But the SD500 seems to be a completely different camera than the others in the SD series. The others are point and shoot, but the SD 500 appears to have true manual exposure –one of the pre-reviews said it had both aperture and shutter control. Manual mode on the other SDs just takes you to a menu where you can select automatic modes. It also uses a larger sensor, and that 7Mp sensor has excellent noise characteristics.

It isn't shaped like the others and appears to be a slightly longer and thicker camera. It is pretty small for a 1/1.8 sensor. Maybe the smallest out there.

I would wait for some good full reviews before deciding.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:33 AM   #4

All I can do is WARN YOU that the SD series from Canon produces far lower quality images than their other cameras- although they are slim and fast to startup, it's at the price of a poor focusing mechanism AND noisy images. I strongly advise that you avoid the SD series and instead look at Casio or Sony for small cameras. Otherwise the S series (S70 etc) though slow and a little bulkier, give much better images.
Photopain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:33 AM   #5

All I can do is WARN YOU that the SD series from Canon produces far lower quality images than their other cameras- although they are slim and fast to startup, it's at the price of a poor focusing mechanism AND noisy images. I strongly advise that you avoid the SD series and instead look at Casio or Sony for small cameras. Otherwise the S series (S70 etc) though slow and a little bulkier, give much better images.
Photopain is offline   Reply With Quote