Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 13, 2005, 1:21 PM   #1

I have spent the past couple of hours looking through the web-site (which is AWESOME by the way), and am now trying to choose between the Nikon Coolpix 5700, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 & the Konica Minolta DiMage Z5.

My basic needs are a powerful optical zoom, for sport & wildlife photography, with at least 5 megapix. The 3 mentioned all fall within my budget.

Any comments or suggestions would be most helpful.:O
Dunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:25 PM   #2

The Panasonic FZ20 is the best ultra-zoom in my opinion. It is arguably better in everything (except video, which is inferior to some of the competition)...

If you can wait, you may also wait for the newly announced models like the Sony H1 to come out. I still think the FZ20 will be better than those (because the lens is brighter) but it remains to be seen...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:56 AM   #3

Hi Sivaram

Many thanks for your input - the Pana it will be !
Dunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 1:04 AM   #4
KSV

I agree with Sivaram Velauthapillai. I have FZ10 and can recommend it to everyone. FZ20 basically the same camera with more resolution (does not really matter) AF assistance (very helpful) and restructured menu and shooting modes - appears to be easier to use by novices.
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 3:15 AM   #5

Third the vote for the FZ20, based on personal experience only... They aren't wildlife but they Are wild...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v285/jjmel/Kiddies/

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:22 AM   #6

Definately FZ20... havent used the others... so the opinion is a little biased... But trust me the FZ 20 is a great camera...

chk pics here

dyudcunha.fotopic.net

Besties

Dyu
dyu_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 7:16 AM   #7

FZ20. I was looking for a long time, and I am not disappointed. It has every feature you could want, and an awsome lense.

clicky for pics: http://photobucket.com/albums/v629/rdegier/

lugnutz:G
lugnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:10 AM   #8
VP

Is there an issue with the clarity of the LCD and the EVF in low/bright light situations on the FZ20? I have alsobeen consideringthe FZ20but wondering about that.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:45 AM   #9

VP wrote:
Quote:
Is there an issue with the clarity of the LCD and the EVF in low/bright light situations on the FZ20? I have alsobeen consideringthe FZ20but wondering about that.

It is a real pain framing a shot in very low light. But the camera focuses fine with the assist light and you can usually see enough to get the picture. You just can't judge expressions etc.

It is more of a problem with an external non-dedicated automatic flash unit than it is with the internal flash. If you plan to buy a pricey dedicated flash unit or use the one built in you likely won't have really bad experiences with low light.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:07 AM   #10
VP

slipe

Thanks for the reply. Does it do well in bright sunlight or does it have a tendency to washout? So far, the screens seem to be the biggest concern for me.

Appreciate the help.

VP is offline   Reply With Quote