Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 13, 2005, 5:45 PM   #1

I have been using an Olympus Stylus Epic 170 for low light concert photography for several years. The camera is fast and has hadgood results.Due toits range being only 170,I thought I would try a SLR. After a not so good experience with a SLR, (7 focused pictures out of 7 rolls of film) I went back to my good old point and shoot.

Due to my habit of taking 8 to 13 rolls of film per show, I found my film and processing getting very expensive.Plus you never know what you are going to get from filmuntil after you developit.

I saw alot of people with digital cameras so I thought I would give it a try. I bought a Fuji Finepix 3800 which took decent daylight photos and a few goodnight scenery picsbut it refused to focusduring indoor low light concerts.

I have been searching the internet and reading the reviews. Now I am trying to decide whether to go with a high end prosumer or digital SLR. Iwas looking at the Canon 20D with a 70mm-200mm IS USM Lens with accessories or the KM Maxxum 7D both equal big bucks.

I don't know if there is a high end digital point and shoot that could handle the low light situations.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Tygress
tygress is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:20 PM   #2

DSLRs are FAR BETTER for low light than prosumers of any kind. Assuming you are ok with the cost and the size, I would go for a DSLR...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:24 PM   #3

tygress wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if there is a high end digital point and shoot that could handle the low light situations.

I dont' know if you mean focusing or exposure - some can handle the focusing part, but I doubt that any could handle the exposure part, especially if you will be using a bit of zoom. Most of the p&s will only go up to ISO 400. There might be one or two that can go to 800, but even that isn't all that high.

In the long run, you will be much happier with a dslr. That is the only way you are going to get the high ISO's needed for low-light concerts. Get something which you can focus manually, and you will be set....

PhilR.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:39 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I figured I would go with the digital SLR.

Now I just have to figure out which of the two are more practical for the money.
tygress is offline   Reply With Quote