Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:37 PM   #1

Hi all,

Trying to make up my mind on this at the moment.

I have been looking at Sonys as I have been very impressed with my dad's old one.

My requirements :

- price range 2-300 pounds, maybe a bit more
- high end consumer camera
- point & shoot mode, but full manual mode (exposure, aperture, focus, etc.)
- good menus
- useable (good start up time, etc.)
- decent build quality

I was having a good look at the Sony DSC-W7 - looks lovely. Some reviews have said that it's totally configurable in manual mode, then another said it was little more than a point and shoot. Then there's the memory stick issue...

My better half has a Canon A70 which seems very configurable, but I'm not too convinced.

What do people think? There's so much choice, I just don't know where to start. How would a Sony DSC-V3 be? Bit pricey though...
MartinAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2005, 11:11 AM   #2

Sony V3 is a prosumer whereas the other ones you mentioned (Canon A line, Sony W line, etc) are consumers. The prosumers tend to be better in many respects. However, do note that the prosumers tend to be larger and more expensive than the compacts like Sony W5.

There is also the Sony P line (eg. P100, P150, etc) that has full manual controls while being small. It is a bit more expensive but it has everything you are looking for.

If you are looking for a budget camera, I would look at the Sony W line... if you want something small, and not as price conscious, I would look a the P line... and if you want one of the best prosumers on the market, look at the V3... I would also look at other competitors unless you realloy really really want Sony Sony has the best LCDs and usually has one of the best videos (640x480) but their proprietory memory stick is expensive and the price is more expensive for a given feature...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:10 PM   #3

Thanks!

I'm not totally sold on the Sony range, although I've been impressed in the past. Like you say, they're not cheap and they use MS.

I like the P200 but preferred the packaging of the W5/W7. Is the P200 a better camera? I was under the impression that technically they were basically the same.

What about the A95 - the specs look very good but I'm not sold on the looks and I have been told the optics aren't a patch on the Sonys...
Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:42 PM   #4

The W1 (not W5 or the newer ones) did not have full manual control (eg. shutter&aperature priority modes were limited) whereas the P line had full control.

The Canon A line is the competitor to the Sony W line... so A95 is kind of like the W5 or whatever... I think the A line is a good all-around camera. It's a bit bigger but it has flip-out LCD, 5 megapixels, and so on... most Canons have limited video so be careful of that if you care about video...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 5:41 PM   #5

That's interesting - so the the P200 is actually better specced (with manual controls) than the W5/W7?

Will check that out...