Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 14, 2005, 5:06 AM   #1

Canon A510 currently costs 35$ more than A75 in my country (because it is new)

A75 265$ A510300$

Do you think the extra features (4x zoom over 3x, zoom flash , 2AA batteries instead of 4) is worth the extra money? I need a good digital camera but I would like to save as much as possible.

Thanks
navid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2005, 6:06 AM   #2

You can actually get a Canon A520 for $272.95 + $6.50 Fed Ex Saver Shipping here, http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...P=OTC-d3alt1me This one has a 4mp rather than 3mp that the 510 has. Andat that price, compared to the price you gave for an A75, it is definitely worth consideration.

Just check out Steve's reviews of Canon cameras, (and others), with links to prices and retailers here, http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Regards,

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 8:42 AM   #3

It depends on what your needs are... Price seems to be a big issue tho... So perhaps choosing the A75 isn't a bad idea. Its a great camera... It has a few advantages over the A510... While the A510 really has one advantage over the A75, IMHO its the 4x zoom.

Either way both cameras are good... Personally I wouldn't advise u to get the A520 or A85, UNLESS you can get it cheaper... IMHO it is worst than either the A75 or A510, but that is just my opinion.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:41 AM   #4

Nicolas wrote:
Quote:
Either way both cameras are good... Personally I wouldn't advise u to get the A520 or A85, UNLESS you can get it cheaper... IMHO it is worst than either the A75 or A510, but that is just my opinion.
See, that's the beauty of a forum such as this. I based my offering solely on price and the fact that the 520 is a newer model. No knowledge of the mentioned cameras as such and obviously you are aware of the differences enough to judge on merit.

I appreciate a major factor in making navid's mind up is price, all of the cameras mentioned come inside his top and bottom price, add to that the A95, so I hope he takes on board your comments and look in to it a bit more.

Of course navid, you should also factor in the cost of extras that you will need. At least another memory card, a few sets of Ni-MH'splus charger and a case to put it all in.

Happy hunting,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:23 PM   #5

Navid,

I was also having similar dillema like yours. But my choice was between A510 and A85. I like the fact that A510 has 4X zoom, 2AA batteries, uses SD card (especially I already have a SD card myself), and is smaller than its predecessor. However, it is only 3.2MP, has worse low-light capability and generates more noise and red-eye compared to A75/85. Another good thing is that A510 is newer and cheaper than the A85. But, A85 has more advantages in terms of resolution, low-light, and red-eye-free capabilities.

I agree with Nicolas that A520 is worse than A510 and A75. But in my opinion A85 is definitely better than A75 (not the price though). For me, it's either A510 and A85 that I find difficult to choose.

Answering your question between A75 and A510, it will dependa lot where you're going touse the camera. In low-light situation, such as indoor, A75 is better than A510. Outdoor both cameras works just great. The zoom flash in A510 is just a fancy thing, it's not going to help you much in getting better flash range. Even though A510 uses only 2 AA batteries, it does however use an SD memory card which is more expensive than CompactFlashused in A75.

In addition to Steve's review regarding A510/520, I think the following site might help you better deciding which camera works for you.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml
cartiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 6:07 PM   #6

I have the A75 and it's wonderful. HAs a decent auto mode with some extras to keep me happy. I think the A510 is also good, they did a few changes some good some bad. I think the flash adjustment gives the overall worse redeye. but that can be fixed in software. most users complained about the A75 being bigger and bulkier then other models, I happen to think it is just small enough were I won't loose it. so my vote goes to the A75. The 510 is good, but i think if it had the digic 2 processor in it then it would have been better. I don't know why the 510 didn't have the digic 2 processor in it from the begining. so hopefully next year we will see an A series with a digic 2 processor.
dsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 5:02 AM   #7

Thanks everyone. I think I will buy the a510 afterall.
navid is offline   Reply With Quote