Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:33 PM   #1

My Sony P9 is a nice enough camera, but it doesn't do well if you don't flood it with light. I'm looking for a camera that can handle low-light occasions without getting too noisy.

I know that CCD size is important here, but I can't do an SLR right now. I see that the Fuji S5100 and some Panasonics have 1/2.5 or bigger CCDs, which is substantially bigger than normal compacts. Would these be better in low light? Reviews haven't really raved about their low-light performance.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
Shmackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2005, 1:10 PM   #2

The new FujiFilm F10 is the first(?) point and shoot camera specifically designed to take low-light pictures. Its CCD sensor is capable of ISO1600 speed without introducing too much noise. More info: http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/fu...05_f10_pr.html

These Japanese pages have some sample pictures.
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/re...2/24/1033.html http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/re...2/28/1042.html
msb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 1:11 PM   #3

Both Sony V3 and Canon G6 are great choices for your situation. But the V3 offers less noise than the G6 and has Nightshot and Nightframing features which let you take a picture in near darkness situation.
cartiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:45 PM   #4

The ultra-zooms have a SMALLER sensor--not bigger. Don't forget that those numbers are fractions so the bigger denominator means a smaller size eg. 1/1.8" is bigger than 1/2.5"

Perhaps the best prosumer for low-light is the Canon G6. Canon G6 has f2.0 at wide-angle and can't be beat. However, as you zoom, its aperature drops off so it isn't as good when you zoom.... G6 also has good ISO perforamnce...sooo.. if you don't zoom then the G6 may be pretty decent...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 4:04 PM   #5

Good point. I misunderstood the fractions.

If the G6 is good in low light, would the G5 be better because it's packing fewer pixels into the same CCD size?
Shmackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:14 AM   #6

Shmackey wrote:
Quote:
Good point. I misunderstood the fractions.

If the G6 is good in low light, would the G5 be better because it's packing fewer pixels into the same CCD size?
In theory yes... but in reality it's hard to say... sensor technology improves over time so I don't know if the G5 is indeed better...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote