Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 21, 2005, 6:24 PM   #11

The D70 sems to have the most coveted performance items sewed up! Lots of reading available out there, Rebel XT might be a more logical competitor. My digging around confirms D70 is (digitalreview has nice info) the winnah!(IMHO) Happy shooting...Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 6:32 PM   #12
KSV

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
The 8MP camera is less money than the 6MP camera, where is the decision here?
A bit of strange to read such a statement here. Megapixel is not everything. In fact it is not even most important factor at all (after certain level, probably 5MP). Of course if one about to print murals it *IS* important, but in "normal" life it is nothing. Furthermore - they (megapixels) even our enemy - they are eating our memory card and disk space, require more powerfulprocessor and more memory to handle, take longer time to transferetc. What regarding D70 v 350D - how about class leading focus speed in D70? How about x-sync twice faster in D70? Does this this *P*H*O*T*O*categories never counts in digital*C*A*M*E*R*A*? Whats about money -D70 kit lens is heaps better than 350D (witch is close to total c**p). Of course Canon doing some very decent lenses, but once you put such a lens on 350D it loose its price advantage. And lens - this is what makes difference. It is appears like for some megapixel count totally paralyze theirability tothink as a photographer. Sad.
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 8:20 PM   #13

You are right KSV, and I agree with your rant at the pixel counters, but give minutephotos a bit of slack. He did also say:
minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
... It is realy all about the lens and not the camera. ...
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 9:13 PM   #14

also keep in mind from what i have seen that overall lens price value for nikon is more expensive.
the chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:49 AM   #15

The D70 is an awesome camera. I have used lots of photographic equipment over the years, and it is very difficult to be disappointed with this camera. The lens too is excellent.
geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 12:40 PM   #16

Thanks to all that posted. It was very helpful!

I picked up barley used D70. Two months old with all the paperwork. $900 with kit lens, 1gig Lexar 80x, two filters , nice bag and all the stuff that came with it. No hassel for waiting for the rebate, and the $250 of other little stuff I needed and made the deal work for me within my budget.

I think this will be such a step up from my pocket Canon S50, that I will be very happy. I'm keeping the S50. Great little camera, and it never stays at home!
Happy to shooting to all of you!

Brian
Brian_in_SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 5:53 PM   #17

Congrats. check out http://www.nikonians.org/
the chemist is offline   Reply With Quote