Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 14, 2005, 1:20 PM   #1

I'm pondering the D70 vs the new 350D.

I like the Nikon lens and set up better, but think the Canon will be the better deal. I'm also thinking that Nikon will lower the price April 1 at the end of thier current rebate program and in response to the Canon 350D.

The D70 lens is prerfect for me, but noise is my concern. I print 13x19 prints mostly on a Canon i9900 and noise can be issue.

Right now I think the Canon is the better deal, but would really ponder the Nikon if it were priced below the Canon 350D

Has any on compaired the two or see any compairsons?

Thanks!

Brian
Brian_in_SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2005, 12:08 AM   #2

You might want to check out the in-depth comparison of the D70 and the XT at "digitalreview".
kenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 8:57 AM   #3

Kenner,

Thanks for the tip.

Can you give me the spcific URL for the compairson? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks.

Brian
Old Mar 19, 2005, 9:14 AM   #4

Try Googling for "digitalreview". It's there.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 4:33 PM   #5

Found it!

Many thanks.

Brian
Old Mar 19, 2005, 5:30 PM   #6

Brian,

I'm in the same boat as you - D70 or XT? I'm leaning towards the Canon because of its ergonomics (easier to lug around while travelling) plus itSEEMS from what I've read that it produces better, more consistent photos in-camera. I don't want to do a lot of tweaking on my PC if I can avoid it.

I imagine you could use the extra pixels of the XT, especially if you want or need to crop pics.

However, the concensus seems to be thatNikon's kit lens is better and the current pricing ($882.00 at buydig.com after rebates) is pretty sweet.

Tough choice, but it's probably a win-win situation.

Best of luck.
kenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 5:50 PM   #7

I haven't used the XT but the Digital Rebel is a good camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Very easy to use menu system, for instance, and fairly light for a D-SLR.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The stock lens is reasonable, but if you have the $'s maybe give it a miss and get a little better quality lens with the package.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Pricewise, the Drebel or the XT will come in cheaper than the D70, although the D70 probably delivers a little better image.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 3:02 PM   #8

For 13x19 prints an 8MP camera is going to be better. The 8MP camera is less money than the 6MP camera, where is the decision here?

I would probably have purchased the Nikon over the Digital Rebel, but I don't think it compares to the 350D. However, my next camera will definately be the 20D.

I love my Digital Rebel with the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX and the Tamron 28-75 F2.8. It is realy all about the lens and not the camera.

Taken with the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 and Canon Digital Rebel.
Attached Images

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 3:49 PM   #9

If you like the nikon lens and setup better than go that route. I was dead set on getting the 350 which is the superior camera in IMO. however i went to a local store and fell in love with the feel of the nikon d70 and couldnt stand the feel of the 350. Both are great cameras it really depends on the user and the lens. i am getting a d70.
the chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 4:21 PM   #10

Thanks for your thoughts!

I'm not opposed to Canon lenses. Like Nikon, they both make some world class lenses.

I just think the Rebel kit lens on the far has less to offer thank the Nikor. Its build quality is cheaper with a plastic bayonet mount, and has less useful zoom range. With the Nikor 18-70 lens, I get better build quality and an equivalent 27 -105 zoom, which is a much more useful primary lens. I am slightly partial to Nikon glass, since my first 35mm camera was a Nikkormat in 1973.

If I went with the Rebel, I would pass on the kits lens and get the Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC. This lens is getting good feedback and has a very nice zoom range, 29-200m 35mm equivalent. Info from the Sigma site at this url http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...87&navigator=6

My other minor obsession is noise. I've seen some noise comparisons. This can be a real problem in lager prints. Check out noise comparisons:

Noise comparisons of the Canon 20D/10D against the Nikon D70:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/page20.asp

Noise comparison of the Canon 20D/10D, 300D and Nikon D70:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E20D/E20DA13.HTM

From these charts, the older rank for noise performance is:
1) Canon 20D
2) Canon 10d
3) Nikon D70
4) Canon 300D
That said, I think that Canon will improve the noise performance in the Rebel XT, and beat the Nikon D70.

All this said, it comes down to money vs function.

I can get the Nikon with the 18-70mm kit lens for less than $900 after the rebate. The Rebel 350D body with the Sigma lens would be close the $270 more, $900 for the body and $270 for the lens. Will I ever see the extra $270 on my 13x19 prints? If not, I'll get the Nikon D70 and save the money or get another lens.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Brian