Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 14, 2005, 3:08 PM   #1

ok.. I'v used digitals before and have been doing more research than I probably should have... too much information..
I am looking for portablility, image quality, point and shoot and manual control too, want ability to shoot multiple shots and minimal lag time. I've looked at the Canon A-95, The Casio Exilim 600, Sony DSC W5 and W7. I am not interested in an SLR at this time. I want to have a camera for a trip to Italy in May. I want to be able to take portraits, snapshot, landscapes and of course some action when shooting children, etc. I am open to any suggestions and am looking at 5 - 7 mega pixals for printing... any suggestions..
thanks
josefrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2005, 6:29 PM   #2
KSV

I love Canon A-series. Almost pocketable, AA batteries, P&S yet can be fully manual - IMHO an excellent choice for all-arounder.
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 6:47 PM   #3

For the money, the Canon Powershot Aseries is hard to beat. I have the A-75 and really like it. The one area where you may have problems is action pics in less than ideal lighting. Daylight shots should be no problem. But that's true for almost the the non-DSLR's.

Have a good time!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:11 PM   #4

josefrag wrote:
Quote:
ok.. I'v used digitals before and have been doing more research than I probably should have... too much information..
I am looking for portablility, image quality, point and shoot and manual control too, want ability to shoot multiple shots and minimal lag time. I've looked at the Canon A-95, The Casio Exilim 600, Sony DSC W5 and W7. I am not interested in an SLR at this time. I want to have a camera for a trip to Italy in May. I want to be able to take portraits, snapshot, landscapes and of course some action when shooting children, etc. I am open to any suggestions and am looking at 5 - 7 mega pixals for printing... any suggestions..
thanks
It won't be easy finding a camera that meets all your stated requirements.You should look at the Canon S60/S70. Ithas agreat lens for shooting landscapes/cityscapes. It also has aswing out screen - very nice.

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gal...ons70_samples/

Pay attention to the last two sample photos.

(TheSonysdon't seemto be a good value.Maybe the Sony P200 for it'scompact size- but you have fewer controls to play with.)

I recommend yougo to the Canonand Sony forums to see what issues people are having with these cameras.

shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:08 AM   #5

shutter_bug,
Thanks for the feedback... I realize I am probably asking for too much... what are your thoughts about lag time...and cameras that might fit that need?
josefrag is offline   Reply With Quote