Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:53 AM   #1

Hello,

I'm trying to decide on what I should do for a new digital camera. I'm trying to get into stock photography, but the point and shoot camera I have now just isn't able to produce the quality needed to get good sales. Basically I need a camera that has automatic features, but also allows for manual if needed, for ISO and such. I'd also like to have several different scene selections because I don't know what good settings are for different situations, yet. Good zoom, great macro, pretty good night shots, just an overall good camera that produces very nice images. If possible I would also like to have the ability to add on lenses and flash in the future if I would want to do so. I'd also like a flip LCD and remote, but these aren't necessary.

I'm wanting something with at least 5 or 6 mp. I'm still learning composition and things, so I find I have to crop a lot to get a really nice shot. I have a 3mp now and I just don't have the ability to crop like I need to. Originally I was looking at the Olympus C8080 and Nikon C8800. I've been reading reviews and I just don't think I want to spend that kind of money considering how many people are having problems with the focusing and things. I like the features on the Nikon the most, with 15 scene selections, 10x optical zoom, remote, flip LCD, image stabilization, good macro, automatic or manual settings and the ability to add lenses and flash. Also liked the Olympus, but would like more zoom and scene selections.

Low noise is essential, or at least noise that can easily be removed with software. I'm not really wanting to get into SLR right now, I don't want to have to purchase lenses and things until I get a little more serious. I read another review that suggested the Canon Powershot G6. Basically this camera has everything I like, I would just like a little more zoom, not sure if I would be able to get all this on one camera, or at least the more important features. I like this camera, but I don't mind a heavier, more bulky camera, it's actually something I like in a camera, I like to have a good, heavy feeling camera.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Snick :|

http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=3454
snicker_bar4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:20 AM   #2

You should probably go with a DSLR if you can afford it and you dont' care about the size. Just buy one lens (for now forget about a zoom lens) and go from there...

If you really don't want a DSLR then something like Canon G6 or Sony V3 may be ok... You won't get the noise performance of DSLRs but these will be ok in bright light...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:28 AM   #3

Yeah, those both look like they pretty much are everything I am looking at. I just want to stay away from DSLRs now. I'm still open to suggestions.

Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:54 AM   #4

The G6 is certainly a good camera. You have enough experience to know whether you need more zoom range.

You might have a look at the Panasonic FZ20. It is a very popular camera on the board and most people seem very satisfied with them. The EVF and LCD don't gain up enough to frame easily in low light, but it focuses well in low light with the focus assist lamp. If you are interested you can get a lot of feedback from owners on the Panasonic board. With f2.8 all the way to 12X and stabilization it is a good long zoom performer.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:59 AM   #5

I was just looking at this camera as well. It also seems to meet my needs. Macro is a really important feature, along with long zoom for me. So, which of the canon and panasonic would have better macro? I love the 12x zoom, seems very nice. Do you think this is a better choice than the Olympus or Nikon?

Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:44 PM   #6

Oly doesn't make a stabilized camera I know of and I have really come to appreciate having that. The only Nikon with stabilization is the 8800 and you said that was too pricey. It is also something like f5.3 at full zoom, which defeats most of the advantage of the stabilization compared to the f2.8 on the FZ20. The FZ20 seems to have a focusing advantage under some circumstances as well from what I've read.

The FZ20 has excellent macro performance but the flash is almost useless as the lens blocks the subject. Most super zooms have the same problem. The large lens also blocks some ambient light. One of the advantages of the FZ20 is the large objective lens, but it does get in the way for macro. You need some sort of external light source to get really good macro shots with an FZ20. Outdoors a white card or mirror would probably be sufficient. Again I would recommend the Panasonic board. There are plenty of owners there that will share their macro experience with you.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 1:29 PM   #7

Thanks for the response. I'm definately going to look into panasonic a little more. I never really considered there cameras. The Nikon isn't too pricey, I don't mind paying that much at all. I just don'w want to pay that much if I'm not going to get the results that kind of money should provide. I've just read a lot of people having problems with the focusing and stuff that I'm not sure if it would be worth it.