Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:41 PM   #1

Hi! I have a Fujifilm Finepix S3000 right now that I just love. I took it to Jamaica last year, and for the most part, the pictures turned out great. However, I have been getting more and more into digital photography and am thinking about upgrading. I would really like to purchase a digital SLR, and after looking up information on these types of cameras for the last few months, I have narrowed it down to either theNikon D70 or D100 (what's the main difference?). What I mainly am looking for is the ability to take pictures of things far away and zoom in on them. I think the lenses of the SLR's will help with that. I would mainly be doing outdoor shots, sometimes of fast-moving subjects. Does anyone know if these cameras would be a good choice, or is there any other DSLR that I should be considering? I'm getting married in Jamaica next month, have another wedding to go to next week out of town, and I have a ton of trips planned for this summer (just graduated - yea!), so I am looking to buy a new cameravery soon, and any help would be appreciated. Also, what kind of lens would you recommend with these cameras? Like I said, I would mainly be shooting things far away, and would like to bring them in closer. :?
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 1:59 AM   #2

Moving to DSLR from prosumer is a big step, but reading your post then for fast moving subjects, i.e.sports, indoor photography without flash, and for sheer creativity then you can't beat an SLR and a couple of good lenses.I have the D70 with kit lens, but also the 17/55 F2.8, the 70/200VRIFED F2.8, and the TC14E converter, which satisfies all my needs. However before going too deep, I think you should look at the Canon XT which is coming out at the end of the month. Once you are on the ladder and have acquired a few bits and pieces you are committed to one make or the other. Now I don't believe that more pixels make a better camera, but then let's start by saying that the Canon has 8mp and the Nikon 6mp. Moving on from that they both have more or less the same range of lenses, although perceived wisdom has it that the Nikon kit lens is better than the Canon. I can vouch for the fact that it is a damned good lens anyway. To decide between the two you should find a shop and spend a little time handling both to see which you prefer, because despite those who say that one camera is "better" than the other I believe that you can take better pictures if the camera suits you. Changing shutter speeds or aperture quickly if the appropriate control falls easily to hand for example.

On the subject of lenses I have the Nikon ones, but then I read glowing reports of the Sigma lenses for both makes, and they are considerably cheaper to purchase. For telephoto lenses it would help if you gave a budget figure, since then a recommendation can be made to suit your pocket. Both Nikon and Canon make lower price telephotos than the one I have, but then to get really good long range shots you need big glass, which is expensive.

So go to you shop if possible and handle both cameras and see, then come back with any questions you like. This friendly crowd here will answer tham! Best of luck!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 4:06 AM   #3

You might want to consider untra-zooms such as the FZ10/15/20 from Panasonic.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:56 AM   #4

I second the suggestion of the previous post. Those Panasonic ultra zooms will give you very good images for less than half the price (maybe even a third of the price) of a D70 or D100 plus the requisite zoom lenses (28-300 or whatever). They will also give you markedly better images than the S3000, I think.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:50 PM   #5

That's a good idea - I'll have to look into those. I'm just worried that after a year or so, I'll want a better one. That seems to be where I keep finding myself. I'm on my fourth digital camera now, and I really want a nice one that I can use for many years to come. It seems like a lot of people who have the digital SLRS tend to hold on to them for a while.:G
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:11 PM   #6

That's because they often end up buying lenses for them: faster lenses, wider angle lenses, bigger zoom lenses.

If you buy the Panasonic Z20 for $550, it will be a nice upgrade for you. In a year, you can sell it for $300 or more and buy your DSLR if you want, or your Z30 or whatever. I just think you willl have a hard time getting super zoomed DSLR performance without spending a lot more money. At least not 12X optical zoom, with stabilization and a 2.8 aperture throughout the entire range.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 1:11 AM   #7

I've been looking up different cameras you guys suggested all night. I think you're right. Maybe I should just stick with an "ultra zoom" for now. I guess I didn't even consider that for some reason. So...now it's down to deciding which one of those to look more into. I did look up the panasonic DMC-FZ20, and it looks like a great camera. I see it has 5MP, which I think will be OK - I only plan on printing 4X6 mainly. Some other ones that I've also been looking at online are the Olympus C8080 zoom, which only has a 5X zoom lens, but has 8mp, so maybe the 5X zoom would be OK. I also checked out the Nikon Coolpix 8800, the Cannon powershot pro1, and the Finepix S7000. They all seem like great cameras - any suggestions?? The only thing negative I read about any of them was that the pro1 has a lot of noise at high ISO settings, and I'm not even sure what that means, so I'm not sure if it would be a problem for me. Anyways, I'll gladly look into any suggestions I get. I'm really thankful for all of the help/insight. :-)
Old Mar 17, 2005, 3:21 AM   #8

I owned the S7000 for over a year before it was stolen. I liked it. I considered getting the Nikon Coolpix 8800. Some people say the latter focuses to slowly though its image quality is normally very good.

However, considering that you stressed your desire to zoom in on distant objects, I would recommend the Panasonic FZ-20. I think it's the most bang for the buck. The downsides of this camera for some people are it's proprietary battery and relatively large size. However, it's still smaller than DSLR's and much, much cheaper. I think you can get teleconverters for less than $150 that will give you more than 20X optical zoom. There are some Konica Minolta cameras out now with similar specs, regular ol' AA batteriesand maybe a slightly lower price, but I doubt the still photo image quality will be as good as the Panasonic. I almost forgot. Panasonic is putting out smaller ultra zooms: FZ-4 and FZ-5. Haven't seen any prices for them yet.

Good luck.

Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:37 AM   #9

"I'm just worried that after a year or so, I'll want a better one. That seems to be where I keep finding myself. I'm on my fourth digital camera now, and I really want a nice one that I can use for many years to come."

That pretty much mirrors my experience with digital cameras. I stopped looking however after I bought my FZ10. With a Sony .7 wide angle converter and Sony 1.7 teleconverter, I have the 35mm equivalent of 24.5mm on the wide end up to 714mm at the telephoto end. With image stabilization, I've taken shots handheld at 1/6th second that were not blurred. I've just bought some Cokin filters, and I'm beginning to play with them. I still learn something new every time I take the camera out. If I had unlimited resources, I'd own a DSLR. Like most people, I have to prioritize. With the FZ10, I don't feel deprived.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:12 PM   #10

Do you get really clear, crisp shots with the FZ10? I guess the only thing that makes me hesitate to buy the FZ20 is it's a 5mp camera, and there are similar ones that are 8mp (with less zoom, though). I've heard that the megapixls don't always matter, though, if it's got a better lens. As I ,mentioned earlier, I will mainly be printing 4X6 photos - do you think I'll be OK with the FZ20? Since you've had a FZ10 for a while, I'd like to know how your shots turn out, especially the outdoors ones. Thanks!