Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:51 AM   #1

I am looking at buying a DSLR and lenses for low light concert photography. I have been researchingand checked all the reviews. I was planning on buying a 20D with a 50mm 1.4 to start and a 24mm-70. Later 70mm-200mm, 85mm, and 135mm.

Now I see the improvements in the XT and I am wondering if the XT would give me the same picture quality with less expense. I would then be able to buy more lenesorbetter quality lenses.

What do you think?

tygress is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 5:07 PM   #2
KSV

If budget is OK go for 20D - build like tank. If budgetrestricted have a look at 300D - I am sure with 350D on shelfs you can get incredibly good deals
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:32 AM   #3

KSV.

Thanks for your reply. I'll check out both.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:53 AM   #4

They are both good cameras. Its a question about what you'll use it for of your 35mm experience.

The interface on the XT, if it's the same as the regular Rebel is reduced to save money (they removed a wheel.) This means that to change both aperture and shutter speed you have to push a button to change the "mode" of the wheel.

It also doesn't have exposure compensation, which I use all the time (but maybe you wouldn't.)

They both have very capable sensors in them, so that isn't a worry.

I believe they both have good low light performance, which is what you're looking for. The AF on the 20D will be better, and it might work in lower light (I'm not sure about that) which, if it did, would help you.

Ad I agree with KSV. The 20D is just a better camera. But do you need the features that make it better? Will it be worth the extra money to you? That is the question.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:09 AM   #5

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply.

I think better control of the aperture andshutter speed are important as well asexposure compensation. Knowing that, it makes better sense to go with the better camera (20D) which is obviously worth the money in the long run.

Thanksagain for you help.

Tygress

Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:44 AM   #6

Here's a detailed comparison of the two cameras.

http://www.completedigitalphotograph...ndex.php?p=333
wrench100 is offline   Reply With Quote