Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:18 PM   #11

NEW A95 OWNER!!!

Just bought the CANON and plan to spend the weekend "playing" with it! Decided the SONY was not worth the $165 premium and going with all the great reviews that mention this as about the best all round camera. I am sure I will be happy!!!
dmz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 2:37 AM   #12

Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing from you about the results!
GoGoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 2:20 PM   #13

GoGoGo wrote:

I just went over the comparison again on http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM and I really get a headache out of it :-? The pictures of the Sony DSC W1 are definitely WORSE than that of the Canon Powershot A95. Just compare the pictures of 'the band' in large mode and look in the faces.

I own the Sony W1 and am quite happy with it. If you look closely at the examples you mention, you will see that the detail in the A95image seems sharper than that of the W1. What you will also see is that the A95 shot has more noise. If you're going to use the images straight out of the camera, you may be happier with the A95. But I find that a little bit of unsharp mask on my W1 images gives me the detail I want without adding to the noise, whereas I suspect that if you try to use a noise filter on the A95 images you will loose quite a bitmore detail along with the noise. I have yet to meet a digital image which couldn't benefit from a trip through Photoshop or the like, so for me the W1 is the perfect camera to stick in my pocket and go with. The biggest downside, IMHO, is the lack of aperture and shutter priority. There is only a complete manual setting which I find klunky and frustrating. The W1 has a very agressive noise filter but the images are not out of focus, as many seem to think.

While we're on the subject of the W1, which is being replaced by the W5, let me just say there are some great bargains out there on the W1 and the W5's LCD has only ~15K pixels, as compared to the W1 with ~25K pixels. It seems they have decided to reduce the LCD image in favor of better battery life. Since the camera uses AA batteries, I consider this a step down...not up. :sad:
Aristillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 6:54 AM   #14

ORDERED MY CANON POWERSHOT A95 YESTERDAY!

Now I have to live with the consequences...
GoGoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 3:55 PM   #15

hey A95 owners.. Guess you would have done enough playing around with your cams now.. Having the same dilemma as I just saw the postings before in this topic.. I am confused whether to buy a Sony W1 or Canon A95.

Fast performance is fine and the Image quality I think both of them spare well outdoors in daylight. Could some one tell me how the pictures are indoors. Low light scenarios? How does the canon perform in these cases. Yes as I already see some people saying that the focussing takes some time but then what about the picture quality. Specially say in a party with people moving around and indoor party potraits say... would be great if someone would help me out with these details..

By the way SONY doesnt have a stitch assist panorama mode right?
pranesh313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 2:56 PM   #16

I got the Canon A95 about 2 months ago. Takes really great photos. Most of the photos I've taken thus far have been indoors (since it is winter) - at my daughter's basketball games, in church, in the house, etc. I am very happy with the quality of the photos. Haven't used the swivel LCD screen much - so don't buy it just for that reason.

One main complaint - it is slow! Esp. when trying to catch that perfect shot at a basketball game! I turned the red-eye reduction off which helped somewhat. It is also sort of heavy which I don't mind.

Haven't used the manual controls yet. Maybe some day I'll have time to learn everything the camera can do.

Good luck making your decision!
normant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 2:23 AM   #17

is it so slow that you would miss you know one of those important moments? is it that bad even with manual controls and adjustment? could someone throw some light into this please? Specially in low light , how does it perform?
pranesh313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 9:57 PM   #18

I must admit, I really wanted my new camera to be a Canon - Even though it was a difficult decision I bought the A95 over the W5. I tried the P200 and loved it's ease of use and picture quality - it was too small for me so I returned itand tried to determine between the A95 and W5.

It is true the P200 (and I assume the W5) was very fast and I did not miss a pic - the Canon is rather slow and after a few days of use, missed quite a few opportunities. For me it is sluggish, slow to focus a bit heavy and cumbersome. I hate to say this, but I will either return it or sell on EBAY and go with the SonyW5.....

dmz19 is offline   Reply With Quote