Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 16, 2005, 7:53 PM   #1

Besides the swival LCD and manual controls, is there something more about the CANON that I need to know to buy it over the SONY?

SONY - I like the low light ability, the 2.5" LCD, changes to the camera shown ON the LCD, fast 1 second start-up and improved battery life AA. I really want my next camera to be a Canon but haven't found anything except the swival screen to sway me?? Of course, Canon also has a negative possibility with the "error" that has been widely reported, including on the A95.

I want something fast to catch those opportunities, don't need any manual control, may replace my Minolta S414 with my choice, rarely print an 8x10 and photograph everyday stuff - family, friends, pets, vacations, etc.

Both have outstanding, positive reviews - I bought a SONY P200 but returned it because I don't need a 7MP camera. I took a few photos in 5MP and they are outstanding for my taste - much better than the Minolta. I considered others (like the SD400, Nikon CoolPix) but too small for me, as was the SONY P200. I like the many electronic features of the SONY which makes opertaing easier for me - don't have to chase down my glasses to see the mode I am changing to - shows up on the screen!
PLEASE HELP!!!!
dmz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:00 PM   #2

Well it sounds like you have your mind made up already! The CanonA95 hasmore advanced features and controls than the Sony. However, it sounds like you want acamera that is more user-friendly than the A95.Also, the Sony likely has better video recording and playback than the Canon does and it has that large 2.5 inch screen.

The Sony sounds like your kind of camera, and that's probably what you should get.

:|

shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:58 AM   #3

Have not made up my mind - just waiting to see if I have missed something by NOT buying the Canon...any other comments or opinions?
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:19 AM   #4

I am after the Sony too.... I think its a great camera for a friendly use, great 5mp shoots and the 2.5 LCD its outstanding...

This will be my first camera, and from what i could read, its a great deal.

So I think Sony should be the one for u
Matienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 3:35 PM   #5

In another forum, someone mentioned the SONY does not have white balance controls - it actually has 5 - they also stated the LCD was hard to see in low light - anybody experience that?

Let's cut to the chase - bottom line - and I hope to hear from you Canon A95 owners AND Sony W5 owners - Please be open, honest.

BESIDES THE SWIVAL LCD AND MANUAL CONTROLS,what am I missing by NOT buying the CANON A95 - which is a great camera????
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:23 PM   #6

Hi,

I'm also preparing for buying me a Canon A95 or a Sony W5. I went to the shop today and tried them out both. I am very pleased with the shutter lag (0.3 sec) on the Sony which I find very important (natural feel). The focussing is also very fast and the display is huge compared to the Canon. I would like the Sony to have more manual controls but I should focus on what I'm planned to do with the thingy: family in and outdoor picture shooting. Considering the neat twistable lcd screen on the Canon: I don't think it's a necessity for 95% of the pictures I take. For the other 5% I guess I'll have to shoot multiple pictures in order to get it right Since I still have a Nikon F70, I will do my landscapes and other stuff with that one (untill I've bought me a D70). So far for my thoughts...

Camera's I also investigated but turned down: Canon Ixus 40, Canon S500 (shutter lag 1,2s), Olympus C60 zoom, Sony DSC V1 (discontinued model), Fuji Finepix E550 (shutter lag 0.9 + image noice on auto iso), Nikon Coolpix 5200 (average in reviews, shutter lag >= 0.9), Sony DSC P150 (too expensive), Nikon Coolpix 4800 (too expensive <- I cannot get the rebate Nikon USA provides).

Martin
GoGoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 1:35 PM   #7

I tried all those other camera's and most were too small for me - I liked the reviews on the Nikon CoolPix 5200 (PC World top ten) but too small. I bought the SONY P200 too small for me and too expensive for what my needs are so I returned it.

Bottom line - I just bought a Canon printer and can get the A95 at $225 with rebate and the Sony W5 for about $100 more. I have to buy the Memory stick for the SONY - another $65 so I am now at $165 more for the SONY - I have plenty of memory cards to operate the Canon -

From a cost standpoint, wondering if the SONY is worth the $165 more????
Old Mar 18, 2005, 2:32 PM   #8

Hi,

I just went over the comparison again on http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM and I really get a headache out of it :-? The pictures of the Sony DSC W1 are definitely WORSE than that of the Canon Powershot A95. Just compare the pictures of 'the band' in large mode and look in the faces.

Canon Powershot A95: great image, great manual controls, unpleasant shutter lag (0.9 sec really is long)
Sony W1/W5: great focussing, awesomse shutter lag (0.3 sec), irritating softening of image

By the way, the 7.2mp Sony P200 is also worse than the Canon Powershot A95. Earlier this day I thought it would be the Sony W5, but now I am back with the Canon.

Somebody help me out of my misery...:shock:
Old Mar 18, 2005, 2:57 PM   #9

I feel the same. After reviewing several items and comparing photos, the Canon quality is really beginning to over-shadow the SONY. Both were comfortable but the Canon felt a bit better in my hands.

I am leaning toward the Canon and feel the additional investment for the SONY including memory, etc isn't worth making especially with the Canon getting great reviews from evey site that I have visited . My little brain is fried and I believe I am going to buy the A95 and enjoy life!!!
Old Mar 18, 2005, 3:57 PM   #10

If only the picture quality of the W5 would be similar to the Canon A95 then I knew what to do. So my frustrated choice will be image quality versus acceptable shutter lag. Hell of a dilemma... :evil: