Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:55 AM   #1

Hi all,

I've currently got an older 2.1 MP camera and it's time to upgrade.

I'm thinking I want to stay with the point and shoot types, but I have a few requirements and need some recommendations on which cameras to research further.

I would really like to have 5+ MP. Something that takes really great pics (don't we all want that??) - mostly family shots, indoor and outdoor. Just capturing the moment type of stuff, not going to start a photography studio or anything. I would like something that takes quick pictures - like a burst mode or something. SD media is a plus, but CF would be fine too. I'm not too sure I care about it's ability to shoot movies - I have a digital video camera for that. Ultralight or ultracompact isn't a big issue - I'd rather not carry a 10lb beast around, but it also doesn't have to be the size fo a credit card either. I think my price range is 3-400, however I don't know what the major price points and what features are available in those ranges either so I may be able to spend a bit more if I get significantly more features or quality.

I went to Sears the other day for some lawn equipment and strolled through the camera isles - I saw a 6.1MP from Kodak (DX7630) and it looked nice.

Can anyone suggest other cameras/models to consider?

Thanks for taking the time to read and TIA for any suggestions you may have!
TXJeepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:53 AM   #2

Look through Steve's list of best cameras. You are probably interested in the 5Mp Consumer category. The titles are links to the reviews. Steve's conclusions in the reviews covers things like speed and low light focus. http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Once you have singled out a few that you are interested in come back with a short list. Everyone has different requirements and there are a LOT of nice cameras out there.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:59 AM   #3

Hi,

I was in your situation a few months ago, and after comparing the various models avalaible in your range of price (in France) I eventually chose the Ricoh Caplio GX. I am quite happy with it, it has a lot of manual functions and with a sensibility reaching 1600 ISO alllows getting pictures in very low light, grainy pictures in this case but they are there.

This camera has two drawbacks :
  • a rather high noise level which shows when you enlarge very much the picture on your PC screen but which can be removed by specific software such as Noiseware Community Edition[/*]
  • if time lag at shooting is very short, transfer of the file to the SD card is a bit long.
[/*]
If Ricoh is not available in your area, you can get the same camera as Rollei dr5100
dmau58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:15 PM   #4

[align=left]Ok - so I've read some reviews and I think this is the sole entry on my list...[/align]
[align=left]Kodak DX7590[/align]
[align=left]Is there any place that has this camera compared to something else - like a shoot out between that one and something else I should consider?[/align]
Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:57 PM   #5

I also have just finished an exhaustive search for a new digital camera. I choose the Casio Exilim EX-P700 (7mp). But for your price range you can get the P600, which is essentially the same camera, only 6mp.

It is small without being too small, fast, the auto focus works great, the flash is quite adequate (it lights up my small apartment easily, so a table at a restaurant would be no problem). And its light.

And it is super easy to use, both in auto point and shoot mode, and in the Best Shot modes, for special circumstances. It also has a big screen (2 in.) which gets brighter when its dark.

And it uses SD media.

I found that the ultra compacts were too small for me too handle, so this one is just about right. And it takes great pictures. I just got a Smugmug account and have posted a few pictures from my testing. Feel free to have a look:

http://rafman448.smugmug.com

Good luck with your choice! Rafael
rafman448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:38 PM   #6
VP

The DX7590 sure seems to have some nice features andI was just about to order one except fortwo things.

1.Being an ultra zoom with no remote shutter release---I could have lived without IS and used a tripod and maybe even rigged up a bracket for remote

2. Then I found out on the Kodak thread that after several minutes of inactivity the camera will turn itself completely off (have to keep waking it up)

For my usesthat was a deal killer. Sounds like in your case though,itcould be an excellent choice.

VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:46 PM   #7

TXJeepFan wrote:
Quote:
[align=left]Ok - so I've read some reviews and I think this is the sole entry on my list...[/align]

[align=left]Kodak DX7590[/align]

[align=left]Is there any place that has this camera compared to something else - like a shoot out between that one and something else I should consider?[/align]
The review I read on the DX7590 was not favorable.It was compared to the Panasonic Lumex FZ20. The FZ20 is far, far superior.

:|
shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:51 PM   #8

Jeff makes some limited comparisons in his review: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/kodak/dx7590-review/ He seems to think it compares well to other non-stabilized super zooms at the time of the review. In a later review of the FZ20 he gives a much better list of cameras to compare in that zoom range at the end of the article: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml

The Kodak wouldn't be my choice, but I think you would be happy with it. I've grown to really like stabilization, especially in a long zoom camera. You can get a lot more shots without a tripod. The combination of going to f3.8 at full zoom and not having stabilization pretty much limits you to fairly bright days for 10X shots. But as an everyday family camera with the occasional long zoom shot it should be fine.

I'm also not a big fan of docking cradles. But if you have the desk space and don't mind packing the cradle and adapter when you travel, it might be desirable.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:09 AM   #9

slipe wrote:
Quote:
Jeff makes some limited comparisons in his review: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/kodak/dx7590-review/ He seems to think it compares well to other non-stabilized super zooms at the time of the review. In a later review of the FZ20 he gives a much better list of cameras to compare in that zoom range at the end of the article: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml

Slipe - thank you for the bit of information. I did some reading on the FZ20 and I think that's going to be a better choice for me. My wife is just starting into the photography game and I want something that will grow with her abilities. I think the more/better manual controls the FZ20 has over the DX7590 will be better in the future while offering a good somewhat novice user experience. I think the review Steve did on this one plus the pictures are proof enough that the extra ~100 is well spent. I do also like the fact the FZ20 appears to be a little bigger and will allow my fingers to not be so cramped when I use it as well.

It looks like I'm better off getting a 1G card for it, so that ups the price point for me a bit plus I need a camera bag as well, but overall I'm going to give this one a pretty serious look.

I'm probably going to go find a local store that has it so I can 'kick the tires' if you will before I plunk down that kind of money.

Once I make my decision and get some hands on time, I'll be happy to post back my initial thoughts.

Thanks again!