Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:25 AM   #1

My Oly C-2100 needs a new board. :sad: It has to fixed by the factory and I have a $230 quote which includes shipping costs to and from. My camera fix it guy says that the lenses on the C-2100 are still among the best and it's because of the lenses that the photos turn out so well even though the cam is a 2.1 megapixel. He also says that the lenses on some of the newer higher megapixel cams are inferior and won't produce the same quality pics.

I love the zoom on the C-2100 and if I replace it, want another 10x zoom. I'm consideringthe C-765 for about $300 from Butterfly Photo per recommendation from the Buyer's Guide! (Thanks!!) I've also read the information and "Steve's Conclusion" in which the C-765 gets a very good review but I have some questions!

1. Are the lenses in the C-765 equal to or better than the lenses in the C-2100?

2. Does the LENGTH of the lens make a difference? The C-2100 extends sevearl inches from the body while the C-765 doesn't extend nearly as far.

Thanks for any help.
KarenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:35 AM   #2
Administrator

One of the things that makes the C-2100 and it lens so good is the fact that the 10x zoom lens is optically stabilized. It was also the last Olympus super zoom camera to feature an image stabilizer . This adds to the cost of the camera and Olympus got aggressive with their pricing and decided to drop the feature.

Panasonic has a complete line of 12x super zoom cameras (Lumix FZ1, FZ3, FZ4, FZ5, FZ10, FZ15, FZ20) and all of them use stabilized Leica lenses. This image stabilization (IS) system helps to eliminate the blurring that comes from handholding a long focal length zoom lens. It also allows you to shoot at 2 to 3 shutter speeds slower than cameras without IS - so this improves its low-light non-flash capabilities too.

Just food for thought
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:16 PM   #3

WOW! Thanks Steve!

The Lumix FZ15 looks like it might just be my replacement forthe Oly if I replace it. I'm still wrestling with that decsion!

I really appreciate your help.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:54 PM   #4
Administrator

No problem, glad to help. If you visit our Panasonic forum you will find all kinds of satisfied (almost fanatical) "FZ - Fuzzy" users and their beautiful pictures, they'll have you buying one in no time.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 10:05 AM   #5

I just wanted to thank Steve for the heads up on the Panasonic cameras. I received my FZ15 on Thursday and have been VERY impressed.

Thanks for the great advice, Steve!