Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:30 PM   #1

Hi All, I'm hoping to buy a new digital camera and am having a hard time trying to decide between the Canon A520 and Olympus C5500. The Canon reviews are posted on the web.....has anyone seen a review of the c5500 on the web? I have found that someone has bought the olympus c 5500 and posted some pictures on this website under Olympus. The pictures look good to me......but I'm such a newbie I really need help! I don't want to make a mistake. Thank you in advance, I appreciate your time.
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:37 PM   #2

The Oly is a new camera. I would wait for a good review before deciding.

I'm curious why you are limiting yourself to those two. Neither have a decent movie mode if you are interested in that and there are a lot of comparable cameras.

You will have to buy a charger and NiMH batteries for either. Taking that into account you can probably get something comparable for nearly the same price that comes with a lithium battery and charger. Even though it has a focus assist light, DCRP felt the 520 had low light focus problems and Steve found the focus assist good out to only about 3 feet in dim light. That can be frustrating.

I'm guessing you want the manual exposure modes, so the Nikon 5200 with a $50 rebate might not appeal to you. But Butterfly has it for $212 after rebate and you don't have to buy a battery charger. I tend to agree that I prefer to have a manual exposure mode, but as long as I have spot metering along with sport and portrait modes I can get by without it on cameras without a hot shoe.

Have you looked at the Canon A95? It seems to be in the same price range as the 520 and focuses well in low light. It has more pixels and a nice articulated LCD. You still have to buy batteries and charger, but for a $10 difference I would much prefer it over the 520.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:23 AM   #3

Thank you so much for answering my query. Actually I am not limited to those two cameras. I have had a Nikon 3100 for about 2 years and have had some fun with it (take it with me everywhwere)and some frustration with it. It's now time to move on. I am looking for a camera that produces good pictures, good performance(not much lag time), more controls, and alittle more zoom. I'm not so interested in the high megapixel cameras, I just want features to grow with. I'm not sure that I want to take up photography full speed......it seems like the more I read the more I realize I don't know about photography. I do love taking pictures and alot of them! I take pictures of my doggies, my grandchildren, beach scenes, baseball games(my son is a college coach), landscapesand flowers. It's hard to find a camera that does it all and I know I don't want a dslr at this time. I thought that the Olympus might be the answer.......I have even thought about the Panasonic F4 or 5. I will wait for the review on the Oly. and I appreciate your suggestions. Now that you have a better idea of my situation,do you have any other suggestions?? I am really open.Thank you again for your time!!!! You are so kind to answer.
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote