Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:01 PM   #1

I am thinking about purchasing one of the four cameras noted above. I intend take mainly outdoor scenery shots, mostly in California, land of the sun (& fog). I will not be using a tripod much, and will want to blow the pictures up, but no bigger than 36'. Please help!
ajsobaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:43 PM   #2

ajsobaski wrote:
Quote:
I am thinking about purchasing one of the four cameras noted above. I intend take mainly outdoor scenery shots, mostly in California, land of the sun (& fog). I will not be using a tripod much, and will want to blow the pictures up, but no bigger than 36'. Please help!
None of those cameras will give you an acceptable image that is 36 feet wide. Perhaps you mean 36".

If you meant 36 inches, then you will want all the megapixels you can get, and that would rule out the FZ's.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:48 PM   #3

Damn, pushed the wrong button, meant 36", although the vast majority of pictures would be much smaller.
ajsobaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:56 PM   #4

I have the FZ20 and I love it. Since I have not used either of the Nikon cams I cannot comment on them. I find that enlargements from my 5MP pics are no problem. I have gotten very crisp 20x30 prints. Haven't tried larger.

It depends on what you need for your purposes, but I love my FZ20.

Here are some images I posted:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:25 PM   #5
VP

rduve

Excellent photos!!!

Re: FZ20 Do you find a problem with seeingyour subject(s) inthe LCD and EVF in low light or washing out in bright light? That is the only possible holdup for me right now in making a purchase of the FZ20.

VP
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:36 PM   #6

The viewfinders do turn black in very low light conditions, but it has to be almost pitch black darkness for that to be the case, not just low light. There is no gain-up of the viewfinders which would be a nice feature, but I have really not had any situation where I needed to take pictures in near complete darkness. I find the camera does a nice job with low light focusing. My previous camera, a Canon Powershot G5, would be "fishing" endlessly and not focus properly in low light conditions.

In bright sunshine, it is better to use the EVF vs. the LCD screen. Naturally the LCD screen is hard to see in sunlight, but not harder than most other cameras. I do miss, however, the swivel LCD screen I had on my Canon G5.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:55 PM   #7
VP

Thanks for the feedback.I do wish for the gainup also,butI'm going to give one a try.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote