Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:31 PM   #1

Hi All,

I intend to purchase a new digicam to replace my current one, Canon PowerShot S500 which now seems too compact for me and lacks many manual functions though it can produce very good shots. To be honest, I'm impressed by the make Canon only so I have decided to buy another Canon. However, I am stuck at these digicams: Rebel EOS 300D ($800 USD) G6 ($660 USD) S70 ($620 USD) A95 ($360 USD). These are prices in Vietnam. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could give me an advice and analysis oftradeoffs among these ones so I can finally be able to decide onone that I won't regret later. :?

Kind regards,

Quan
Quan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2005, 6:25 PM   #2

Quan,

I can tell you my experiance. I've owned a Canon G1, currently own a Canon S50 and am looking to purchase a Canon 350D or Niknon D70 in the next two weeks.

I can tell you that the Canon "G" and "S" series are woundeful cameras with limitations. The S70 is pretty much the G that fits in a larger pocket with out two things;

1) Less powerful flash, and no hot-shoe. If flash important, consider that G.
2) The break away screan on the G series is great. If you have small kids, you can take pictuers of hard to reach angles without getting on the floor.

I'm making the leap to DSLR for several reasions:
1) Speed - The DSL's don't have lag. For some of the kinds of shooting I want this.
2) Lower noise. I print 13x19 prints on a Canon i9900, and there is some noise in lager prints with smaller cams.
3) Widerangle lens below 29mm. The "G" and "S" only go down to 35mm equivlant in 35mm film.
4) ASA range. The DSLR's go up to asa 1600 compaired to an asa 400 on the "G" and "S".

I liked the S50 because it got taken more places than the larger G1. Cameras that say at home miss lots of pictures.

I think the Rebel is a real deal. The only thing that I'd don't like about it is the kit lens. If I go Rebel, I'll pass on the kit lens at get a Sigma 17-125. They run about $280 US.

If you go with the Rebel. I would keep the S500.

Good luck.

Brian
Brian_in_SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 6:48 PM   #3

I think that sigma lenses on the rebel can give the error 99 message, as I've read on the net.

The G6 and S70 are more compact than DSLR cameras. So it all depends on our purposes.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:26 PM   #4

Brian_in_SF wrote:
Quote:
Quan,

I can tell you my experiance. I've owned a Canon G1, currently own a Canon S50 and am looking to purchase a Canon 350D or Niknon D70 in the next two weeks.

I can tell you that the Canon "G" and "S" series are woundeful cameras with limitations. The S70 is pretty much the G that fits in a larger pocket with out two things;

1) Less powerful flash, and no hot-shoe. If flash important, consider that G.
2) The break away screan on the G series is great. If you have small kids, you can take pictuers of hard to reach angles without getting on the floor.

I'm making the leap to DSLR for several reasions:
1) Speed - The DSL's don't have lag. For some of the kinds of shooting I want this.
2) Lower noise. I print 13x19 prints on a Canon i9900, and there is some noise in lager prints with smaller cams.
3) Widerangle lens below 29mm. The "G" and "S" only go down to 35mm equivlant in 35mm film.
4) ASA range. The DSLR's go up to asa 1600 compaired to an asa 400 on the "G" and "S".

I liked the S50 because it got taken more places than the larger G1. Cameras that say at home miss lots of pictures.

I think the Rebel is a real deal. The only thing that I'd don't like about it is the kit lens. If I go Rebel, I'll pass on the kit lens at get a Sigma 17-125. They run about $280 US.

If you go with the Rebel. I would keep the S500.

Good luck.

Brian
Just a small correction: The S60 and S70 start at 28mm (35mm equivalent). I've seen some of your pictures Quan, and it seems you like taking pictures of landscapes. If you're getting a fixed-length camera, you should consider that in your purchase--the G6 starts at 35mm, and the A95 at 38mm.

I agree with the rest, though. If you care about performance and flexibility (and have the money for it), DSLR is the way to go.

Any of the cameras you're considering are excellent cameras, they just all have different strengths:

Rebel: speed, flexibility (low noise, can crank up ISO), optical TTL viewfinder (i.e., usable manual focus), great flash (and hotshoe)

G6: flexibility, bright lens, swivel LCD

S70: great wide angle, compact

A95: cheap, swivel LCD

If you decide money is an issue, the A95 will make a nice camera.

The biggest disadvantages to the Rebel vs. rest: if you like shooting video, using your LCD for framing, the 4:3 format, inexpensiveness, simplicity, or compactness, the Rebel won't do that, but you might not care much for those things, anyway. Otherwise, it beats the other cameras easily.

Advantages of Rebel over the rest: shutter lag, noise, low-light, manual focus, optical TTL viewfinder, flexibility, picture quality--and it's miles ahead.

If you do choose to go non-DSLR (due to cost or other reasons), consider that G6 has hotshoe, and comes with a remote control, as well as a useful swivel LCD.

S70 has great wide angle, but no swivel LCD or hotshoe (remote optional)

A95 has not so good wide angle and no hotshoe, but still shares the swivel LCD with the G6, and it's much less expensive than the others. Plus, it uses AA batteries, if that's a concern to you.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 7:51 PM   #5

Hi Brian, Kenny and Thebac,

Well, thank youvery muchfor your helpful advice on these cameras. I'll look at these advice and trade-offs youraised out todecide onone of these this week.

Best regards,

Quan

Quan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote