Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:20 AM   #1

Here's my problem. I need a camera for taking mainly indoor pictures. Interior design and wellness centers, mostly.

Often the space available is not much, so I need the lenses to be as wide as possible.

These pictures are intended for semi-professional usage... I would like to take good photos (which eventually may be published on small depliants or so) without renting a professional photographer every time.

There will be no time to place accurate lightning, so I need to get results as good as possible without external lights. I don't think I'll be using the flash for this: most likely a tripod and a long exposure time will do the job.

I was thinking of getting a coolpix 8400 since it is the only digicam which has a minimum focal length of 24 (in 35mm equivalent). I hope it won't make a fisheye effect at minimum focal length, any advice from those who own it would be very appreciated.

What intrigues me is that the EOS 300D is a reflex and has definitely better optics, and is also cheaper than the 8400, the only problem is that it only takes photos at 28mm. with an add-on wide lens I probably could get better results than the 8400, but the additional lenses would bring the cost up to about EUR 1300,-... which is a little too much right now, I was looking forward to stay under EUR 1000,-.

Another thing that I would like to know is wether the 300d actually makes movies. It's not important for my job, but this camera would be used on holidays also, so movies would be a nice feature to have.

So, I really cannot take a decision. Any advice from experts and owners of these two cameras would be greatly appreciated.
Yirtne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2005, 6:10 AM   #2
NHL

You can always 'stitch' two(2) pictures together... This is now digital so you can 'Photoshop'ed anyway you want - especially still indoor shots...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 6:47 AM   #3

yeah, but that's what I wanted to avoid. It would be simpler for panoramas, but interior shots are hard to stick together seamlessly without a great work of lightning. I need to be very accurate in my job.
Yirtne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 8:30 AM   #4
NHL

That's only because you shoot in Auto...

-> turn off the Auto White Balance/Exposure, and removing the flash from the camera to mount it(them) on independent stand(s) would make it a little bit earsier
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote