Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:12 AM   #1

I am a casual photographer who takes lots of outdoor and family pictures. My needs are: sharp, clear pictures using an automatic setting. For the past few years I had a Kodak DX4900 and was very satisfied with it. Unfortunately, recently it was lost/stolen. I'd like to replace it with another Kodak from their DX line. Knowing that the best camera might not necessarily be the latest or the most expensive, which Kodak from their DX line would you recommend? Thanks very much.
sgeidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:53 AM   #2

After reading every review and browesing through many different forums and then shopping around for bargain prices,
I finally settled on the DX6490. Here's why. I used to use a SLR camera and was wanting a large zoom factor with photo's that would closely approximate the 35mm film in quality. If I couldn't get that ,well I'd just wait a while longer for the tech to catch up with a lower price. In the 6490 I think it finally did. Or at least enough for me to leave my Camera exile. The zoom factor and price is what did it, with a 10x optical zoom and Wal-Mart's lowered price of $297.00 I found it hard to resist and when I f-i-n-a-l-l-y get it off of layaway I'll post a few pictures to get you aquainted with it's quality and my rust as a photog! Meanwhile check some of the photo's on this forum remembering there are always some gripers and lemons in any product line. But with the with the newer Kodak offerings in stores today the 6490, I believe is the most bang for the buck.

A big welcome from DA DAWG
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 1:42 PM   #3

Any thoughts on the DX7440?
sgeidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:47 PM   #4

If you decide to get a 6490 -- our local OfficeMax has them on sale tomorrow for only $249. Not a bad price for a quality 10x camera, if you have one of these stores nearby.....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 8:29 PM   #5

I've had a 6490 for overa yearand it is a workhorse with great features and excellent batttery life. I've had cameras with 3x zoom but I couldn' resist the 10x on the 6490.

It's a steal for under $300. Happy shopping!

Terry

tsims is offline   Reply With Quote