Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:03 PM   #1

Hi all!!!
I have a BENQ DC 1500, and want to try and acquire a better one.
I am to a non proffessional camera cause i am just starting in the photo bussiness, but i want something that`s nice to start with.
I have been investigating and i have 3 different cameras in mind, but can`t make up my mind in which one to buy

Here`s the cameraas :

Kodak EasyShare DX7590
Canon PowerShot S1 IS
Sony CyberShot DSC p150

Basically i decided between these ones because of the price (i know there are better ones, more expensive but this is somewhat i can afford).

The first two i chose because of the features, because they have nice manual controls and the nice 10X optical zoom.
The last one doesn`t have the zoom, but being one of the latest sony cameras has nice quality. However, i think that the lack of zoom won`t give me the opportunity to take shots from long ranges like the other ones.
Well i would like your expert opinion, and if you think that i should think of another camera for starters (i pretend to take an introductory photograph course once i buy the camera) i am open to suggestions.
thanks for your help!!!
sepharg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2005, 8:46 PM   #2

sepharg wrote:
Quote:
Hi all!!!
I have a BENQ DC 1500, and want to try and acquire a better one.
I am to a non proffessional camera cause i am just starting in the photo bussiness, but i want something that`s nice to start with.
I have been investigating and i have 3 different cameras in mind, but can`t make up my mind in which one to buy

Here`s the cameraas :

Kodak EasyShare DX7590
Canon PowerShot S1 IS
Sony CyberShot DSC p150

Basically i decided between these ones because of the price (i know there are better ones, more expensive but this is somewhat i can afford).

The first two i chose because of the features, because they have nice manual controls and the nice 10X optical zoom.
The last one doesn`t have the zoom, but being one of the latest sony cameras has nice quality. However, i think that the lack of zoom won`t give me the opportunity to take shots from long ranges like the other ones.
Well i would like your expert opinion, and if you think that i should think of another camera for starters (i pretend to take an introductory photograph course once i buy the camera) i am open to suggestions.
thanks for your help!!!
I'll start off by saying I'm not real familiar with your choices.. Mine is the Panasonic FZ20.. You might want to consider the FZ4 or FZ5 that may fit into your price range.. Barring that though, I personally would go for the most features, manual selectable that is.. Auto-everything is nice for a point and shoot but as you grow into it, you'll find yourself disappointed with the lack of manual control.. Super-zooms like the first 2 you selected would be my choice over the Sony. Partly because of the focal length and that the Sony requires a proprietary memory card whereas the other 2 will give you more options. That is, if cameras 1 & 2 take a compact flash card (or SD,xD,etc), you are free to pick and choose which one you buy. Not that I have anything against sony, it's just that I don't like being tied to a single manufacturer for options once I make a purchase.

I will note that I wouldn't buy a still camera for video. If it's video you want, buy a video camera.. I know you didn't mention it but I thought I would..

My opinion, others may vary..

Good luck,
Jeff

:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:43 PM   #3

Since you seem to have big zoom in mind, you might consider the Panasonic FZ 3/4/5. I don't know where you are located, but here in the U.S. the Panasonic FZ3 costs less than your picks, yet provides a 12x stabilized zoom. I would pick one of these versions over the Kodak or Canon.

One place where Panasonic is lacking is video mode. If video mode is important to you, then you might choose the S1 IS, since it is supposed to have quite good video. If I had only those three cameras to pick from, it would be the S1. It has some features that the others don't provide, and it also feels a lot better in the hand than does the Kodak, which I find awkward to handle.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 8:29 AM   #4

Just a while after creating the thread, i was browsing trough the net and found a review about the panasonic lumix fz15, and it`s somewhat a combination of the good features of the canon s1 is and the kodak dx 7590.
I`ll check out if it is sold at a reasonable price compared to the other ones (the canon is not very expensive but the kodak is, because it`s newer so i think that maybe the panasonic sells for a similar price than the kodak). I don`t live in the states but i think the prices are similar.
How do the FZ 3/4/5 compare to the FZ15?
The FZ20 is nice too, but that one is way out of range
thanks for your answers!!
Old Mar 19, 2005, 9:28 AM   #5

The big difference between the FZ3/4/5 and the 15 is overall size and manual focus. Of course there are other differences as well, but these are the two big ones that might influence a buying decision. I chose to go with the FZ3, as it is a much smaller camera than the 15, and I wasn't going to add the increased weight/bulk/cost just to get manual focus.

If you like a bigger and heavier camera, or need manual focus, then get the 15, as it is a wonderful camera. If you want something smaller and lighter, and yet still provides that great f2.8 12x stabilized zoom, then get the 4 or 5.

Also keep in mind that these mega-zoom cameras will not fit in a shirt pocket like the Sony P150 will, but the FZ3 is still small enough to not be a nuisance.....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 1:20 PM   #6

so, between the FZ5 and FZ15 the only subtle difference in quality is the manual focus?
Old Mar 19, 2005, 9:56 PM   #7

The FZ3 is one of the best bargains in a digital camera.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:14 PM   #8

The FZ5 squeezes more pixels in a smaller sensor. The small equivalent of the FZ 15 in pixels is the FZ4. The larger sensor means you need a larger camera and lens. You also get a little less image noise because it has a lower density. You also get a larger LCD with the FZ15. The FZ 4 and 5 also don't stay at f2.8 all the way to 12X. F3.3 is better than most – just not quite as good as f2.8.

This review has a nice comparison chart of the various FZ models.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote