Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 21, 2005, 9:00 AM   #1

Need some help in choosing this now..

Had decided on the A95 a few days back but now a sudden interest in Sony W1 :?:. Am looking for speed ( Shot to Shot), good shots in low light conditions, a good set of preset modes, Battery life. Both of these have rated similar no of shots for the same kind of Batteries. Sony does the job with 2 and Canon does it with 4. Thats one difference. CF cards are cheaper and Memory sticks are not. Second consideration. But mainly I need a good all round performer!

Need some help in making my decision. could someone throw some light into this please...
pranesh313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 12:10 PM   #2

Its quite hard to find review sites that give time, specially of both cameras...

Well, IMHO the best one for that matter only did A95, so I'll have to refer only to imaging-ressource.com.

So Here are the numbers:
Shutter lag including autofocus (wide angle/telephoto)
A95 : 0.87/0.86
W1: 0.30/0.60
Shutter lag prefocussed
A95: 0.090
W1: 0.011

The A95 does better than the W1 in burst mode, but otherwise, its the W1 which is the fastest as you can see with the results above.

For the image quality, both fare well, but I'd say the A95 has a little edge here(something you may not even notice).

In low light conditions, the Sony is supposed to be considerably better. For my part, I find that the A95 does relatively well, tho it is a bit slower to focus.

Finally, the A95 has more variety in scene modes and better manual options.

I personally chose the A95 because it was suiting my needs, but I know that the Sony is also a good camera...
Anyway, here is my photo gallery: http://nicolas7894.fotopic.net/c341553.html
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 1:30 AM   #3

thanks for the details Nicolaus..

yes agreed Sony really does well but then wondering if A95 is actually that slow that when I want to capture that important moment, the speed of the camera would be a hindering factor for me? will the speed and low light capabilities say be of any disadvantage that I would miss that shot. Applies to both I would say..

You have a lot of experience with the A95.. anything you would commment in this regard? Also if someone could give me some idea here, would be great!

pranesh313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:27 AM   #4

I'm in the excact position, choosing between W1 and A95. Although the other way around.

I have been wanting the W1 for some time and searching for a reason not to get it, like find if there is anything else that i am missing out on. But i always seem to come back to W1.

So i'm in a dilemma, does A95 have anything that W1 doesn't?

I was comparing images from the reviews here on both types and the A95 images seemed to have a slightly sharper image and more natural colour, but it could have been due to pictures being taken at different times.

On the other, the A95 did show slightly more noise in shadows then the W1.

So that image test made me rethink for a minute, but on the other hand, you can't really judge by them because of different conditions. Only if the shots had been taken at the excact same time, i would put more weight to it.

So, somebody stop me from getting a W1 if there is a reason not to get it.... :G
hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 1:20 PM   #5

Buy the Canon SD500 instead. It has a shot to shot speed of 2 frames per second unlimited. And the picture quality beats hell out of Sony and Canon's other 5 megapixel cameras. For a new review see this link:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

The samples for the Canon SD500 are much sharper with more details and great color compared to the Sony W1, the Olympus 5500 Sports, or the new Nikon 7900 (which stinks in my opinion). When samples are printed out on Canon's CP-220 they are incredibly brite and sharp. Colors are as near to perfection as one could ask.

It's also very compact and .4" slimmer than Sony's W series with more scenes and manual control and much better flash (up to 15ft). The digital zoom works great and the 60 frames per second is fantastic movie mode as well as the 30 frames per second VGA mode. Also the flash works up to 15 feet and the camear works very well in low light (per the review, not tested myself but will soon!)

For movie mode examples visit this link:

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pssd500/mov-e.html

Notice the digital zoom works and the colors and sharpness are great. Note too the 60 frame per second smoothness.

I just ordered one myself!!

wowlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 1:58 PM   #6

Although the SD500 looks attractive, it's 7MP and is much more expensive here then the W1.

Also it has a small negative effect, blurry corners and purple fringing. That's enough for me to not get it.
hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 12:16 PM   #7

I was in the same dilemma - couldn't choose between the A95 and W1/W5. Bought the Canon and returned it after a few days. I found it to be slow to focus, a bit cumbersome and awkward.

Tried ther SONY P200 and it is a great camera but too small for me. Ended up buying the W5 and very pleased....
dmz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 1:09 PM   #8

I'm just about to buy too - I'm pretty much set on the Sony because of the low light performance, the speed, the big screen and the movie mode - but I'm put off by the reports of excessively aggressive noise reduction on the W1.

I'm hoping they may have updated the firmware on the W5 & W7 to reduce this issue - heard a rumour they were planning to, but I can't find any reviews of the W5 or W7 online yet to confirm it. Does anyone have any info on this?

Cheers -

g k
gordon k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 3:19 PM   #9

I have never missed a shot with my A95. Sure enough I am not shooting sports events, but even if I was, I'd be prefocused and ready to take the shot. I like the Continuous H mode, which can do 2 frames per seconds up to about 8 frames until it slows down. Its quite good, well its good enough for me at least.

As for the movie mode, I don't use it often, but the limited time is usually plenty of time for my needs. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either the A95 or W1... as someone said, the W1 has complaints about excessive noise reduction which softens the images, well its not that terrible, look at the pics and if they are ok for you, don'T worry. Besides if you only print 5x7 or 4x6, you won't notice it... You probably won't either printing at 8x10.

I think both cameras are good all around performer, the A95 having the advantage for manual controls, scene modes, custom white balance and swivel LCD. The W1 has the advantage for speed, movie mode, compactness, big LCD.

Do the comfort test, go to your local dealer and try both cameras and check which one u feel the most comfortable with.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 5:13 PM   #10

Yeah, looks like they're both great cameras, and a big step up from what was available a couple of years ago.

Found a comparative W1/A95 review here:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/buyer/pcpro-r...ony-dscw1.html
and an update review of the W5 here:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/buyer/pcpro-r...hot-dscw5.html
which seems to give the thumbs-up to to the noise reduction algorithm?

gk
gordon k is offline   Reply With Quote