Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 21, 2005, 10:44 AM   #1

I need recommendations for a camera for my son.

I'd like: compact size, AA (nimh)battery powered, 2+ megapixels, optical zoom (2-3x), and <$150.

Suggestions?
gwfrangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 12:28 PM   #2

The Fuji FinePix A205 and A210 fit your criteria. Thay are successors to the FinePix 2650. I bought three refurbished 2650's for relatives a couple of years ago, and all of them have been problem-free.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 6:40 PM   #3

The local OfficeMax had the Olympus D540 at $149 last weekend. It would make a good alternative to the excellent Fuji suggestion above...

I think the local Wal-Mart had the Nikon 2100 for about $149 as well, and it too would satisfy your requirements...

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 5:12 AM   #4

Hi,

If it were me.. i'd go for the Canon Powershot A400
3.2mp that goes with the AA size batteries.
2.2x optical zoom 3x digital...under $150...plus it's a Canon.

u could check for sample pictures of the various cameras on the net, to compare image quality.

I may seems biased, cuz i bought it last November! :-)
no regrets,images are great! But buy extra memory (cuz it comes with a 16MB SD only) and a set of rechargeable batteries.

newbie,
Mark
trademarxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 5:26 AM   #5

I think the previously mentioned cameras may take slightly better pictures, but a really compact camera satisfying your conditions is the Konica Minolta X31. I had the X20 and found it very handy.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:24 PM   #6

Walmart in Canada is selling the Kodak 7220 for $160.00. It comes with everything - docking station, rechargable batteries, and software. All you need to buy is a better memory card. Ideal for a teen. I'm thinking of getting it for my wife - the camera killer.

Its probably under $100 in the states.
rokky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:42 PM   #7

rokky wrote:
Quote:
I'm thinking of getting it for my wife - the camera killer.

You too, huh? My wife killed off our 35mm slr about six years ago. Wasn't all bad though. I then had to rely on my smaller p&s cameras, which made me appreciate not having to lug a big camera bag around....

PhilR.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:48 PM   #8

She's a bad one. Can't have anything nice. It gets scratched, broke, lost, or stolen. She has smashed up a couple vehicles too. Expensive sunglasses that she HAD to have got swiped at work. If we travel, something always is left in a restaurant or hotel. It's just like Christmas for her to go digging for something and find something she misplaced a year or two ago. I was worried about sending her off with MY camera and she did'nt disappoint. She forgets she has stuff and runs out and buys it again. I always have to watch her purse. She got something out of her coat pocket the other day and a couple of credit cards fell to the ground. She did'nt notice and would have continued merrily on her way.

She's just like a bull in a China shop. The stories I could tell ...

I'm getting smarter though. Bought an old car which she complains bitterly about. I try to keep her out of my stuff and need to hide anything I value she's interested in.

But she is a sweetheart and I love her dearly. But why did I let her take MY camera? I know better ... LOL
rokky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:30 PM   #9

rokky wrote:
Quote:
But why did I let her take MY camera? I know better ... LOL
So you could buy a new one!!:blah:
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote