Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 23, 2005, 1:23 PM   #1

Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and thought I would ask a few questions and see what people thought. I have spent many hours reading over the reviews on this forum and I am still not sure what direction to head. I currently have a Kodak DC3400 2.1mp camera with 3x optical zoom I think. It has served me very well so far. I am not really into the high end side of camera but the more I take pictures the more I think I might want to have a camera that is better than the low grade. Being that my currect camera is only 2.1mp it limits the size of pictures I can make from the picures. 4x6 are fine with this camera. But I would like to at least be able to make nice 8x10's. I also want something that can take good macro shots manily of coins. I am into coin collecting. My kodak takes terrible close ups. You have to be 10in or so away for it to focus on something. I need something that can take super close shots to show detail.For macro I would consider a cheap generic camera just for macro.

With that said I started looking around and came across this site with sample pictures and noticed that Nikon take nice close ups so then I started looking at Nikon cameras and found the coolpix 5400. I really like the way it looked and it had alot of options (which I never used before but would like to learn) but read the reviews on here and another site and they gave bad reviews toward the focusing in low light or even moderate lite. So I am not looking around again. I did like the price of the camera because I could get it online for like 430.00 then Nikon had a 200.00 rebate on them. So it made it nice for the price but the focus thing bothered me. I looked at the newer Nikon ones like the 8400 and such but they are a little price right now.

They make way too many different models. Some look like the more expensive 35mm camera whereas some look not as fancy. I would like some options on the camera incase down the road I have options and don't have to buy another camera. I am not really sure what I want but hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I am guessing something with at least 4mp and some optical zoom. Having an option for video is not a big deal. I also need good macro. What brands are good? What brands are bad? Ask me questions and I will try to answer them.

Thanks for your help

Mark
Markncrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:02 PM   #2

I went down to the local ritz camera to look at what cameras they carry and to actually use the camera. I looked at a Nikon 4800 with the 8.3x zoom. I really liked the zoom and it did macro shots good also. Anyone have the 4800? It looks like it compares to the 4100 but has the big zoom.

I also looked online and noticed that the Olympus C-770 UZ or the C-765 UZ seemed a close comparison to the Nikon 4800. The Olympus ones had options for shutter and aperture priority whereas the Nikon did not. Not sure if I would use the those or not but I would assume I might down the road. Online the prices are all close to the same or within reason of each other. One other thing the Olympus ones had was a raw picture format of TIFF and the Nikon only had Jpeg. Anyone care to throw some comments and suggestions my way.
Markncrys is offline   Reply With Quote