Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 23, 2005, 7:03 PM   #1

Hello there everyone,im in need of some assistance with a future camera purchase.I plan on gonig to college along with a photography school to get to knows cameras even better and a grasp on all the techniques and tid bits-but for nowI know a little about photography and cameras in genral .Anyways my questions is this, in the future i plan of pursueig a career with a magazine or company like National Geographic or ones along those lines,how i wil get with a company liek that is a different ball of wax entirely though, but as most of you know i will be dealing with feroign lands,culteres,alot of animals and huge wide open lands, so ill need a camera so suitthose needs,one that can handle all of the above along with architechture and whatever else my assignment may have me following or ducmenting.It will be my career so I already plan on investing ALOT of money into top quality camers,lenses and whatever else i may need.So heres where you come in , what would be the best camera to suit my needs? or just a list of the extremely high/top quality cameras that will be good for the job, ill be dealing with thinsg from lush rainforest scenes, to baren desert pictures, along with following animals,tribes and the likes.It would have to be a digital SLR because we all know theres not a 24 hour photo in the middle of the rain forest haha.I know there will be more questiosn as to my situation andI will gladly anwser any and all soI can find the right camera.Thanks again for everything .

Best regards.

Ryan

shutterdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:39 PM   #2

Since nobody else has commented I'll give it a go. I would go out right now and buy a small digital camera you can carry around with you at all times. You want the manual exposure modes and preferably a hot shoe. The perfect camera for that was the Sony V1, but the supply is drying up and the prices aren't as good as they were even a month ago. There are plenty of small cameras with manual exposure if you bypass the hot shoe for now.

Then take lots of pictures. Take some photography books from the library that deal with composition as well as those that deal with the technical end. Take all the photography courses you can. You will be miles ahead of waiting for the perfect DSLR outfit. By the time you get through school and advance enough to consider high-end equipment everything will be different in the market. And you will be better equipped to know what is right for you.

As far as you are looking to the future I'm not even sure the lenses you bought for a DSLR would still be appropriate. The camera itself would surely be outdated. Get something now and start taking pictures.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 7:48 AM   #3

Slipe hit it just right: get a camera and start shooting. Learn how to use a photo editor. Do some reading. Learn about light. Go to art galleries. Get out and do it: don't overthink equipment - that is the smallest part of good photography.

Likely your photo school will demand a manual film camera for the beginning class(es). Film because there are no pure manual digital cameras short of the the digital backs for medium/large format (that I know of).

Think of those two cameras as as part of your tution/book/supplies/lab fees. They are fairly cheap and you aren't likely to pick your ultimate camera on the first try in any case.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:34 AM   #4

Ok thats clears things up quite abit,thank`s for everything guy`s.Now that we have that hurdle out of the wayI have another question.Since i wont be attending high league photography classes for some time (monye issues) what camera do you suggest besides the Sony V1? I just need something to get me started in this beautifull world called photography and still let me learn alot with manual modes.You already know whatI will be shooting (or hopeing to shoot) in the future so what camera would you recomend? Something like the Canon powershot A75?I didnt choose the 85 or 95 because I hear their sensors are to small for all the megapixles their trying to cram down the camereas and comsumers throats.SO is there really a big difference between them? or does the Powershot 75 still come out in the end with cleaner,crisper pictures? Or would you suggest a totally different camera all together?Thank`s again for everything .

Best regards

Ryan
Old Mar 24, 2005, 6:14 PM   #5

Or should i be looking at soemthing more along the lines of the G6 for my first camera? something that will last me awhile and let me learn alot!!.Or would you suggest soemthing less? I figure anything above the G6 will be a waste because with just a little more money i could be geting something like the Pentax ist DS*.Anyways,what do you guys think?Thanks again for all your help everyone, i greatly appreciate it.

Best regards

Ryan
Old Mar 27, 2005, 11:46 AM   #6

Hmmm it seems like the Canon g6 is a veary good starter camera.ButI cant find any more help with suggestions or comments.ShouldI be looking at soemthing less for my situation or what?
Old Mar 27, 2005, 11:53 AM   #7

Also could you guy`s point me in the direction (other sites) that may help me with my purchase and get me going.Not saying you guy`s arent good.Just saying another helping hand never hurt.Thanks again.

Ryan
Old Mar 27, 2005, 12:30 PM   #8

You can't go wrong with the Canon A series for a budget camera. If you view the images at the same size, images from the entire A series look very similar for noise and quality. People who don't want to upgrade and who don't see sensor improvements tend to overdo the noise thing IMO. I like the articulated LCD on the A95 and some of the features. But if you can afford an A75 now but would have to wait for something else, by all means get the A75.

The only downside of the A series is the size. They are too large to slip in your pocket and with 4AA batteries they are heavy. The great camera you have sitting at home isn't nearly as good as the less capable one you have with you. They are more compact than the G6 though.

The G6 is probably the best camera on the market for your purposes if you can work out a carry method so it is always with you. Maybe a fanny pack. The 7Mp sensor is extremely good and the controls are excellent. A hot shoe is a nice feature if you want to really learn photography. You can get an adequate automatic bounce flash in the $30 range. An automatic rather than a dedicated unit is a good learning tool.

Another nice camera in the size and price range of the G6 is the Sony V3. I wish they could have kept the size of the V1 though – the V3 is much larger than the V1.

You might consider something like the Sony P200. It has full manual exposure modes and even some manual focus presets. It is small enough to carry everywhere but doesn't have a hot shoe.

The G6, V3 and P200 all have the 1 1/8 7Mp sensor. It has lower noise than the same sized 5Mp sensor and will probably serve you well for many years.

This might be a nice budget choice for a carry everywhere camera: http://www2.butterflyphoto.com/shop/...sku=DIMAGEG600 It has full manual exposure and some manual focus pre-sets. The 6Mp sensor isn't as good as the 7Mp on the P200, but the price is right and it is a nice little camera. JimC has a G500 and might be able to offer some insights.

You might also look for a nice used or refurbished V1. Perfect little camera IMO.

Old Mar 27, 2005, 12:41 PM   #9

Thank you veary veary much slipe!, i think i will wind up with the G6, well maybe... the V3, hmmm what one do you think would let me learn more?I guess i will have to compare and contrast the two cameras .And size dosent matter to me, ill find a way to have it on me at all times.Your information is very very helpfull and i will await a few more responsesand look over my choicesbefore makeing my decision.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 2:12 PM   #10

Quote:
i think i will wind up with the G6, well maybe... the V3, hmmm what one do you think would let me learn more?
I have no preference for which is better for learning. They are both excellent. I think the V3 is a little faster with shutter lag but the G6 is better in low light because of the f2 lens. They are both full-featured cameras.

If an entry level DSLR isn't out of the question it is a better choice. My comments are based on starting to take pictures as soon as you can.