Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:35 AM   #1

Hi there!

I'm having such a hard time deciding on what camera to choose. I'm even not sure if I want a prosumer or a DSLR.

What I like about the FZ20 (€531,- 36-432mm F2.8 and the KM A200 (€635,- 28-200mm) is its range. As you know it covers a wide range.

What I like about de Canon 350XT (€859,- lens kit) and Nikon D70 (€1049,- lens kit) is that they're fast and you can choose what kind of lens you like. What I also like is the ISO performance of the DSLRs.
I have question concerning the lenses.
1. Is the lens kit (18-55mm) of the Rebel crap (or 'in better words' worse than the lens of the FZ20 or A200 at the same range)?
2. Are the only 'good quality' lenses the Canon L series (expensive), what are also good quality lenses (range 18-200/300mm) that are not too expensive (but still better than the A200 and FZ20).

I hope someone is able to answer these questions. The price difference (in The Netherlands) between the FZ20/A200 and the XT is not really a problem to me.

Mostly I will use the camera for travelling (I do that a lot), nightshots and some soccer/sports shooting (besides the of course the 'normal' usage).

Pleas help me out!

Thanks!:-)
Timberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2005, 5:01 PM   #2
KSV

Timberland wrote:
Quote:
1. Is the lens kit (18-55mm) of the Rebel crap (or 'in better words' worse than the lens of the FZ20 or A200 at the same range)?
Yes, 350D is cheaply executed plastic (i.e. budget) lens, but I still believe that it render much better quality then FZ20. Keep in your mind that 350D's sensor is *HUGE* comparing to FZ20, so to get the same result FZ20 lens must be made with *SIGNIFICANTLY* higher precision. I mean that in absolute terms IMHO FZ20 lens is better, but relatively to sensor size 350D's will produce better result, because sensor is bigger andlens does not need to be made with such high precision. And if you pick up lens (for Canon) for more then say $300 then trying to compare result will look just ridiculous to me.

But, say, you not really compare apples with apples :-)
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 1:33 PM   #3

Thanks for you reply KSV.

But if you want a DSLR (probably the XT/350D) with the range 28-200/300, what is that going to cost.
If I read all the lens topics, everybody is saying that the Canon L series lenses are the best (but also very expensive:sad. But what are the other "affordable" possibilities to cover that range (and have better quality images than de A200 or FZ20) are there?
What I also find important is to buy lenses that are also compatible with larger frame sensors (so I don't have to buy new lenses in about 5 years).

I've heard that the following lenses are also pretty good:
- Sigma 70 - 200 mm F2,8 APO EX (HSM) (€815,-)
- Sigma 24 - 70 mm F2.8 EX DG Macro (€420,-)
- Tamron af28-75mm F2.8 XR DI (€385,-)

Especially the 70-200mm is pretty expensive (and heavy), are there any other options (good quality)? Thanks

Old Mar 27, 2005, 12:38 AM   #4

Try Googling "recommended lenses for CanonRebel XT". Bob Atkins, who has a web site devoted to photography, wrote a very helpful article on this subject.

He sets out recommendations for inexpensive, mid-range, and high end lenses for the XT.
kenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 8:34 AM   #5

Thanks for your reply, but the lenses in that article are mostly Canon lenses, not the Tamron or Sigma ones. What I also find important is to buy lenses that are also compatible with larger frame sensors (so I don't have to buy new lenses in about 5 years).

Any other advice?

Old Mar 28, 2005, 4:45 PM   #6

well it is unlikely that full frame sensors will dominate in the near future if at all. check out http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...isplay.php?f=9
for more lens reviews
http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel
http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID17/845.html
the chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:37 PM   #7
KSV

the chemist wrote:
Quote:
well it is unlikely that full frame sensors will dominate in the near future if at all.
:-) Well you never know what happens next. Cost (and therefore prices) for sensors going down like hell - Pentax recently announce mid-size DSLR. So I do not like to see myself in say 3 years time sitting and crying over my half-dozen expensive lenses because I will not be able to use them in full-size sensor camera. This is why I do not intend to buy any "digital-only" lenses. :-)

To Timberland:

Yes, unfortunately good quality 70-200/2.8 will cost you quite a bit of money, and will be quite heavy :-(. You are paying for quality and nothing can be done about that. AndFZ20 would be my pick from consumer superzoom.

Cheers

Old Mar 28, 2005, 6:51 PM   #8

It is very simple really, if you want ultimate flexibility and don't mind a heavy bag of lenses (and the money involved) then a DSLR is the only answer. As a long time 35mm SLR user, my current 35mm kit includes two camera bodies and 5 lenses covering 18mm to 210mm (and a 500mm mirror lens). Since I could not afford a DSLR to go with my lenses yet (Minolta),I purchased a Fuji S7000 until I could afford it. I am now wondering if I really want to get into a DSLR right now, I can use my old Vivitar 285 flash (from my older Pentax SLR outfit), I have everything from 35mm to 210mm in one package and the image quality for 90% of picture taking situations is nearly equal to a 6MP DSLR, and it fits in my smallest camera bag.

DSLRs are better cameras, but I am really enjoying the freedom that this digicam has afforded me, I think it is important to take a serious (and realistic) assessment of what you plan to do with a camera before you make a purchase.

Would I buy a DSLR if I could afford it, definitely, would I give up the S7000 for it, not on your life. DSLRs are serious image makers but digicams are fun.

Just one opinion.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 6:59 PM   #9
KSV

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
.....would I give up the S7000 for it, not on your life....
:-) Before DSLR I have (and still got it) FZ10. It is great camera indeed, but since I have DSLR it mainly collect dust.. Will talk to you once you get DSLR - hopefully earlier than later :-)

Cheers
Old Mar 31, 2005, 3:18 AM   #10

Like you can see in my first of post of this thread I'm from the Netherlands. The prices of lenses are so much higher here than in the USA (not fair!).

I'll give you a couple ofexamples:

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX HSM (€815 the Netherlands) (€620 in USA)
Tamron 28-75 XR DI f2.8 (€379in the Netherlands (€286 in USA)
EF 70-200mm f/4L
(€662,00 the Netherlands) (€441 in USA)
Sigma 100-300 F4.0 EX IF HSM (€964 the Netherlands) (€697om USA)

USA prices are from B&H Photo (€1 - $1.29).

My question is, does somebody has experience with shipping products from the USA to Europe (especially The Netherlands). Ifimport fees, duty, Customs or taxes may be charged whenmerchandise reaches me then I don't know if thereare any benefits from shipping it from the USA. The prices in The Netherlands vs USA makes a big difference to me.
Please help!