Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:01 PM   #1

Hi All,

I went to Saigon the other day to purchase a new camera. I sold my old Canon PowerShot S500 at $250 USD. I could not make up my mind to choose a new camera for me. The ones that attracted my attention are Canon EOS 300D ($890 USD), G6 ($640 USD) and Panasonic FZ20($540 USD). Finally, I chose the FZ20 since firstly it looked very nice and elegant, secondly the super zoom and thirdly, the seller was very flexible. She said that I could bring it home and test within4 days if not happy with it I could return it to her. Yesterday, I took some test shots in the afternoon and nightshots at night. The landscape shots are OK but the nightshots disappoint me really. There are a lot of noisein nightshot photos. Ridiculously, my ultra-compacyt Canon S500 could handle this far better than the FZ20. I called the seller this am and will travel to Saigon this afternoon to return the cam to her. I plan to get the EOS 300D - not the G6. Am I wise? Your advice will be highly appreciated.

Rgds,

Quan

Quan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:58 PM   #2
KSV

What you expect from small-sensor camera? To get good night shoot put it on tripod, set ISO50 and have fun! Otherwise (hand-held in auto mode with ISO400) you got what you got. And please do not compare FZ20 with a DSLR - totally different camera build for totally different purposes and cost quite a different money :G. For your reference this pix was taken by FZ10.
Attached Images

KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:18 PM   #3

Quan,

your S500 actually has a nice-sized (1/1.8") sensor, same size as the one in the G6. The FZ20 packs the same 5 MP on a 1/2.5" sensor, so you should expect a lot more noise.

I'm surprised you bought the FZ20, though. I thought you were just considering Canon's, and none of the one's you mentioned were ultrazooms.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:13 AM   #4

I don't know... I'm pretty pleased with it.. Perfect? No. Acceptable? Definately.. Photo taken with FZ20, MIDNIGHT Feb 12, 2005. ISO 80, 1/6 second, f2.8 , Hand Held..

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 6:52 AM   #5

Hello folks,

Thanks all for your advice and comments. I have already returned the FZ20 to the seller and exchanged for the Canon EOS Digital Rebel 300D (black body with lens kit) which cost $900 USD. The seller discounted $15 USD so I got to pay for $885 USD. I am very very happy with this camera. It almostoffers zero time lag, the viewfinder is excellent andcomfortable for composing the shots, the physical appearance is elegant,the main dial is divided into two zones: basic for beginners andcreative for advanced users but the most important thing is the picture quality. I don't know which words I can use to express its excellence.It beats up the FZ20 down to the ground. Wow!Now I'll have to learn to explore its functions totally.

Regards,

Quan

Quan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote