Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 25, 2005, 9:03 PM   #1

I want to know if the Panasonic FZ series with its constant F2.8 lens is the best option for lowlight conditions. I know the noise is not that good in high ISO,but isnt this a problem all point and shoot cameras suffer?
chun8143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2005, 9:15 PM   #2

Considering that there are cameras with faster lenses, and the fact that the lcd doesn't gain up, I would say that no, the FZ aren't the best for low light.

Of course, there is no single "best" for any situation.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 9:22 PM   #3

I forgot to mention that I already have a DSLR but I can't take it with me to a concert, this is why I'm getting a point and shoot. So I want to know if the FZ series is good choice for low light. What other alternatives do I have?
chun8143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:10 PM   #4

I know of only one p&s that has ISO's high enough to shoot concert pics. Fuji just announced a new p&s that goes up to ISO1600. I don't remember the model no., but that can easily be found.

Just about every other p&s, FZ's included, only go up to ISO400, which isn't high enough unless your concert performers are brightly lit such as would be seen in some plays. If you are willing to use a tripod, and your performers are reasonably still, then you can get good pics using a camera with manual controls. Then again, if you don't want to deal with a dslr, then I'm sure you wouldn't want to deal with a tripod either...

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:50 PM   #5

For telephoto shots of concerts the FZ series is about as good as it gets with f2.8 at full zoom and stabilization. But the stabilization doesn't help for subject movement. You can often hit a null movement moment and the great burst mode helps with that.

The viewfinder not brightening enough in low light isn't really significant for non-flash shots. If there isn't enough light to frame the shot there isn't enough to take the picture without a flash. It becomes a major nuisance only for flash shots – especially with an auto flash attachment.

Note that the new FZ4&5 don't maintain f2.8 at full zoom.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:59 PM   #6

chun8143 wrote:
Quote:
I want to know if the Panasonic FZ series with its constant F2.8 lens is the best option for lowlight conditions. I know the noise is not that good in high ISO,but isnt this a problem all point and shoot cameras suffer?
Have a look at this thread.. It may answer a couple questions for you..

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...268940#p268940

Good luck,
Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote