Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 25, 2005, 9:14 PM   #1

I lost a Sony DSC-S50 and need to replace it. The one unique feature that it hadisa flip-out view screen. Looking for what is available today that has the same feature. Other important items are:

aperture priority, shutter priority, preferably full manual, wide zoom range

Anothervery impressive thing about that camera was the battery life with the Sony lithium battery. I would like to find something that is its equal in that regard if possible.

Thanks, Scott Kelley
Scott Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2005, 9:18 PM   #2

Since you already know what features you want, it would be a simple procedure to go to the reviews and find the cameras that have those features, and make your decision from that list.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:12 AM   #3

The least pricey 5Mp camera you can get with the features you want is the Canon A95. It has full controls and an articulated LCD. They are large for their capabilities and you have to buy a charger and NiMH batteries. They also have a limited zoom range, but are excellent cameras.

A nifty little camera is the Pentax 750Z. Full controls, 5X zoom and articulated LCD in a very small camera.

If you want a large camera and don't mind spending the bucks the Minolta A200 has everything you want and stabilization. It has a great control setup and wide angle 7X zoom.

The Canon G6 is also a great 7Mp camera with a f2 lens and all the features you want.

All of those are on Steve's Best Cameras list. You might look through it for others that suit your needs with an articulated LCD. The camera listings are links to the reviews. You can see from the first page whether the LCD flips out. http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 2:03 AM   #4

The Olympus C-5060 has a 4x zoom (27-110-mm). Wide angle and telephoto converters are available that extend the range from 19-187mm. Battery life is exceptional.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 3:51 PM   #5

look at the pentax optio 750z
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 4:58 PM   #6

Go for the Pentax Optio 750z.

I looked at the Minolta A200, but was turned off by the size and worries about AF performance, and macro was no great shakes.

The G6 has a fast lens but is larger, has less zoom range and is far behind the 750z when it comes to macro performance.

Going from a Minolta F100 that ate batteries, the 750z seems to run all day on one battery. The flip out screen works really well and there is just about every option that I could wish for in the menu. And it fits in my pocket.

It's early days as I just got the camera on Tuesday, but so far, I am impressed with it.

Here is one I took earlier:
Attached Images

Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 12:08 PM   #7

Scott Kelley wrote:
Quote:
I lost a Sony DSC-S50 and need to replace it. The one unique feature that it hadisa flip-out view screen. Looking for what is available today that has the same feature. Other important items are:

aperture priority, shutter priority, preferably full manual, wide zoom range

Anothervery impressive thing about that camera was the battery life with the Sony lithium battery. I would like to find something that is its equal in that regard if possible.

Thanks, Scott Kelley

The Canon S1IS has a flip out screen, 10x optical zoom, all kinds of manual modes, manual.

Buy your own batteries.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote