Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:28 PM   #1

Hi everyone, Ive been a lurker for a while now and finally narrowed my purchase to these 2 DC's. Im not asking which is the better camera, I just want to make sure I know all of the differences between the 2 before I make my decision. This is what I have so far:

Canon A95 vs Panasonic Fz3

5mp vs 3mp
3x zoom vs 12x zoom
no IS vs IS
AA's vs Lithium Ion battery
CF vs SD card

FZ3 has the Leica lens which is supposedly a much better lens, although I do not know HOW it is better. Besides the zoom, does it allow for a wider angle when taking pics?

Thats all I can think of for now, am I missing anything else? Thanks in advance.

dengar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2005, 3:32 PM   #2

dengar69 wrote:
Quote:
Hi everyone, Ive been a lurker for a while now and finally narrowed my purchase to these 2 DC's. Im not asking which is the better camera, I just want to make sure I know all of the differences between the 2 before I make my decision. This is what I have so far:

Canon A95 vs Panasonic Fz3

5mp vs 3mp
3x zoom vs 12x zoom
no IS vs IS
AA's vs Lithium Ion battery
CF vs SD card

FZ3 has the Leica lens which is supposedly a much better lens, although I do not know HOW it is better. Besides the zoom, does it allow for a wider angle when taking pics?

Thats all I can think of for now, am I missing anything else? Thanks in advance.

Dengar69, you sure are at both ends of the spectrum on your choices. They are not in the same category in my opinion. Both are good cameras as I have a FZ20 and just received a A95 the other day that I am playing with. The FZ in my opinion is a good "outside" camera with terrific lens and IS. The A95 obviously only has a 3X lens and appears to be excellent for wide angle shots and pics within its "distance". That is my planned usage of mine at any rate.. Think a little bit more about your usage and be sure to read thru the Panasonic forum on this forum. Good luck Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 3:51 PM   #3

Well as for my usage, my wife and I are expecting our first baby in about 2 months...so the camera is mostly for capturing the baby's first smile, walk, etc etc. I would also like to experiment with making my own studio shots of the baby (some of these places charge a small fortune for pictures).

However I would really like to get into photography as a hobby so I would like a camera that I can "grow into"...if I start to like photography that much I will eventually break down and buy a digital SLR in a couple of years.

Old Mar 26, 2005, 4:31 PM   #4

Hello,
I own the older versions of both cameras. The Canon A70 & the Pana FZ1.
That said, they are both great cameras. They will both give you the pics of your child that you are looking for.
The main difference is the Canon may be a bit better in low light shots and I think it has a stronger flash. It has limits with only 3X zoom.
The Panasonic is great for outdoor shots and if you want to photograph wildlife or sports as your child grows up and becomes interested in games.
The 12X zoom on the FZ3 allows you to crop your shot "in camera" so to speek.You will have 5 megapixels on the A95. You can take a photo and then crop it to get the end photo that you want in the computer and still have enough resolution left for a good print.
As for me, I find that I wind up grabing the FZ more often, as that powerful 12X zoom is a lot of fun and quite addictive!:G

Hope that helps a little!
Happy shooting:|
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 11:29 AM   #5

Well after reading up some more I decided Im going to wait until the FZ5 comes out next month and cough up the extra money. I'll get the best of both worlds with 5mp and the Leica lens. The only thing I will miss is the swivel LCD on the A95, but I dont think I will miss it too much.